Old October 27th 09, 07:59 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway
Chris Read Chris Read is offline

Default West London Line - what recession?

"Paul Corfield" wrote:

My main comment here is "hands off decent evening bus frequencies". The
problem with taking an axe to things like this is that you remove an
important incentive for people to make trips on public transport. If
you can only get in to town but not back again in a convenient way why
would you make the outward trip on public transport?

Any cuts will hurt, so it's a question of what hurts least.

As it happens, I would rather retain existing service levels, London-wide
(barring a few extreme examples of low use), and bridge the budget gap
through cutting back concessions for the elderly, teenagers and those on
benefits. Allowing pensioners who live in £500k houses, with £100k plus in
the bank, totally free travel, whilst charging full rate to a supermarket
worker on £6 an hour, is an interesting take on social justice. But there is
no political will to challenge the status quo here.

Chris