Old October 28th 09, 05:30 AM posted to alt.travel.uk.air,rec.travel.europe,uk.transport.london
Buddenbrooks Buddenbrooks is offline

Default Heads up - Panorama tonight, BBC1 8.30pm

"Michael R N Dolbear" wrote in message
They can't stop a prosecution just because they wouldn't have
prosecuted themselves in a particular case.

The only reason I am aware of their ability to do so is the newspaper
coverage of a private prosecution they have done so.
The CPS have the right to take over any criminal proceedings and then they
can halt it. This is done where they feel
that 'it is agaiinst the public interest'
http://www.cps.gov.uk/legal/p_to_r/p...ecutions/#stop

Also there is no requirement for anyone to inform the CPS that a
prosecution is taking place at all though there is a requirement for a
court to inform them when a prosecution is withdrawn.

Indeed, the case I refered to was sufficiently high profile for the CPS to
be aware of it the media.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/tyne/7720587.stm