Old January 2nd 04, 12:14 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Kat Kat is offline

Default Oyster at Finsbury Park

In message , John Rowland
writes
If you are out of your zone with a swiped Oyster,
then you are obviously intending to swipe on exit and be charged for the
extension... if you don't swipe on exit, you will be charged the maximum
possible extension (to zone 6D or whatever). Therefore the system can not
generally be defrauded in the way I suggested.

But only if you attempt to come back through Zone 6.
You might legitimately argue that you got to that station by some other
means and just buy the extension to return. Otherwise, all that would
happen would be that your Oyster will be expecting to exit when used
There'd be a 02 on the POD and unless we checked the ticket with an HHC
(which takes time) would have to assume that the Oyster had not been
validated at the end of the journey... it happens all the time.

But a possible fraud does spring to mind. You have a 2 to 6 Travelcard in
your Oyster. You swipe when you enter at Finchley Road, and again when you
leave at Earls Court. The system doesn't know if you have travelled through
Zone 1 or via Rayners Lane, unless it checks journey times.... can it do
that? Any RCI who caught you in Zone 1 wouldn't be able to bust you, since
you could legitimately be planning to exit at a Zone 1 station and be
debited for the extension.

Read my earlier post; it would all depend on whether the Oyster
contained Pre Pay as well a season ticket.
--
Kat "bears, said the taxi driver, is sixpence extra,

sticky bears is ninepence"