Old October 29th 09, 02:34 PM posted to uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.railway
E27002 E27002 is offline

Default West London Line - what recession?

On Oct 29, 7:34*am, "Recliner" wrote:
"Tim Fenton" wrote in message

"Recliner" wrote in message

London tends to be less attractive than Edinburgh, Los Angeles, or
Omaha. *But, you needn't be concerned; you have plenty of folks
waiting in trucks at Calais. *I am sure they will be able to install
and maintain software at your companies, financial institutions,
etc.

That sort of work for British companies is now normally done in
Mumbai or Bangalore. *They're a lot cheaper than Edinburgh, Los
Angeles, or Omaha.

Last year, I was doing an assignment with a large services company
which is, as they say, headquartered in the USA.

They had identified a number of low (or lower) cost locations, some
of which were *inside* the US. From memory, the Carolinas was one -
not all of the country is prosperous.

I suspect Omaha isn't exactly bank breakingly expensive either.

Probably not, even though Warren Buffet, one of the world's richest men
lives there.

For one year I worked in Omaha doing a major reconfiguration of an
accounting package. I found a very inexpensive apartment ten minutes
walk from my client's campus.

My rate was slightly lower than my previous assignment which had been
in the San Francisco Bay area. However, because my costs were much
lower it was an entirely more profitable venture.

Moreover, the folks living in Douglas County, Nebraska where, by and
large, very friendly. The work environment was more than pleasant.
An unexpected bonus was a British Restaurant in nearby Belleview, NE.

Omaha is also home of the headquarters of the Union Pacific
Railroad. The town has much of railway interest. It is also Gerald
Ford’s birthplace.