Old October 30th 09, 08:38 PM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london
THC THC is offline

Default Lord Adonis announces tram-trains for the Abbey Line

On 30 Oct, 18:45, D7666 wrote:
On Oct 30, 6:00*pm, E27002 wrote:

If this is not just electioneering, then this might be a good
solution. *Is there potentional to continue the route into the city/
town centre(s) at either or both ends?- Hide quoted text -

St.Albans end yes easy, all would be needed is a contination then
right turn, up the hill, into city centre. Steep climb though nothing
beyond tram capability.

Tram/train appears to me to be about the rolling stock and not about
the town-centre penetration, certainly in this case. There's no need
in Watford, where WJ is at one end of Clarendon Road, the office
district of the town centre, and the High Street loop on the DC line
provides a service to the southern end of the town centre for the
shops. As Burkey says elsewhere, the majority of pax head not to SA
but to WJ, whether for the town or for onward connections to London.

HCC's adoption of the Abbey line and the go-ahead for this scheme seem
to me to be a quid pro quo for getting Croxley Rail Link money before
the coffers close for good on regional transport allocations (i.e.
just after the Tories get in and slash the budgets). Adonis and DafT
obtain proof of concept on a pet scheme and HCC's CRL scheme, which
has been around for longer than me, goes to the top of the pile for
what's left. Simples.

THC