Old November 1st 09, 11:42 AM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london
Peter Masson[_2_] Peter Masson[_2_] is offline

Default 'Duke of York' pub at Kings Cross open?

"Chris Tolley" (ukonline really) wrote

"About five o'clock the carriage had emptied, and I was left alone as I
had hoped. I got out at the next station, a little place whose name I
scarcely noted, set right in the heart of a bog. It reminded me of one
of those forgotten little stations in the Karroo. An old stationmaster
was digging in his garden, and with his spade over his shoulder
sauntered to the train, took charge of a parcel and went back to his
potatoes. A child of ten received my ticket, and I emerged on a white
road that straggled over the brown moor."

Buchan could have had in mind Gatehouse-of-Fleet station, which was 7 miles
from the small town after which it was named - in the period before closure
only 3 trains per week (all down trains)were shown in the public timetable
as calling. Or possibly Loch Skerrow, a crossing loop and unadvertised
halt - but this didn't have any road access.
http://www.railbrit.co.uk/Portpatrick_Railway/frame.htm

Peter