Old November 4th 09, 12:57 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Batman55 Batman55 is offline

Default Oxford Circus crossing

"Roland Perry" wrote in message
In message , at 12:18:22 on Wed, 4
Nov 2009, Peter Campbell Smith remarked:
To change the subject slightly, I see that (many? all?) new crossings have
the red and green man (person?) mounted at waist height at the side of the
road one is waiting at, rather than opposite. I suppose we'll get used to
it, but I've already seen people:
- look across the road, see no light and assume that there isn't a
pedestrian phase, especially where there are others waiting and obscuring
the new-style light, and
- even more worryingly, look across the road (say south to north) and see
the green man for the pedestrians crossing east to west, which is aimed
directly south, and plunge across the road into the traffic.

These new crossings are a complete disaster, and should be banned
immediately.

If for no other reason than the red/green men are obscured as soon as
there is more than a couple of people waiting to cross.

Hear, hear. They are totally stupid.

MaxB