Old November 4th 09, 08:36 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Neil Williams Neil Williams is offline

Default Oxford Circus crossing

On Wed, 4 Nov 2009 12:18:22 +0000 (UTC), Peter Campbell Smith
wrote:

To change the subject slightly, I see that (many? all?) new crossings have
the red and green man (person?) mounted at waist height at the side of the
road one is waiting at, rather than opposite. I suppose we'll get used to
it, but I've already seen people:

I think those are an almighty pain in the backside, as it isn't
necessarily possible to find the box, establish the light is green and
cross the road without breaking stride from a fast walking pace,
particularly if people are standing in the way of it or you are (as I
am) a wearer of spectacles[1]. This is, OTOH, possible with the
traditional type.

Indeed, with those ones I often find myself looking at the traffic
lights controlling the road traffic instead.

[1] because they narrow your field of vision slightly compared with
contact lenses or not needing any at all!

Neil

--
Neil Williams