Old November 6th 09, 01:43 PM posted to cam.transport,uk.transport.london
Barry Salter Barry Salter is offline

Default Off-Peak Return tickets Cambridge-London

wrote:

I was told by the Cambridge ticket office clerk yesterday that I couldn't
use an Off-Peak Return ticket to travel on the 09:20 but that I could use
an Off-Peak Day Return. The clerk insisted even though I said as far as I
knew the off-peak rule for at least the last 40 years has been "no arrival
in London before 10". I bought a day return ticket as I was committed to
using the 09:20 and wasn't sure at the time whether I would stay in London
or not. I also didn't want to miss the train.

snip

My question here is, however, to ask if others have had similar issues. Is
it one poorly trained (but not inexperienced) member of ticket office
staff or something wider? Or just another squabble between NXEA who run
Cambridge station and FCC who set the fares and carry most of the
passengers?

In this case, Cambridge Ticket Office appear to have been correct and
both FCC's website and their Customer Relations Department appear to
have been wrong.

The Off-Peak Return from Cambridge to London (priced by FCC) carries a
Restriction Code of 5J, the relevant part of which states:

"By any train scheduled to depart at or after 0930"

The Off-Peak *Day* Return (both Any Permitted and NXEA Only variants),
meanwhile, carries a restriction code of J8, which states:

"By any train scheduled to arrive at London Liverpool Street or London
Kings Cross at or after 1000, Stratford (London) after 0950, Tottenham
Hale or Seven Sisters after 0940."

The only easements listed permit use of an Off-Peak Return on the 0859
from Kings Lynn (and appropriate times from Watlington - Ely,
inclusive), 0904 from Foxton (and appropriate times from Shepreth,
Meldreth and Ashwell & Morden) and 0915 from Sandy (and 0923 from Arlesey).

This *appears* to have changed with NFM96, back in May 2007, though I
stand for correction on that.

Cheers,

Barry