Old January 3rd 04, 04:58 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.transport
Aidan Stanger Aidan Stanger is offline

Default Unique pedestrian crossing in Burnt Oak

John Rowland wrote:

Hi all,

I have often seen footage of foreign crossroads with 2 diagonal pedestrian
crossings in addition to the 4 orthogonal crossings we usually have here in
Britain. Today I found a crossroads with all six crossings just east of
Burnt Oak tube station in Northwest London. According to the nearest person
I could accost, it's been like that for about 2 or 3 years. Is this the only
one in Britain? It seems to have been there too long to be a trial.

The big mystery is why so few crossings in London are marked like that.
Space is such a constraint that most of London's signalled crossings use
the Barnes Dance sequence UIVMM.