Old November 9th 09, 04:05 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.transport.buses
Tom Barry Tom Barry is offline

Default What happened to the Hybrid buses?

Barry Salter wrote:
wrote:
Weren't there supposed to be some diesel electric hybrids running on
londons
streets by now? Have they arrived yet - I've not seen them - or has
the idea
been quietly binned?

As others have mentioned, they're in service, although not in large
numbers - I've been on a 141 myself and regularly see them on the E8 and
371 although I've not tried those yet.

Also on the TfL site[2], it's reported that the RV1 (Covent Garden -
Tower Gateway) is to get five Hydrogen fuel cell buses in 2010.

The very useful project/finance update documents TfL publish on their
site say that the H2 bus project has been subject to cost escalations
because the H2 is all imported and the drive trains have had trouble -
they were going to have 5 fuel cell and 5 internal combustion H2
engines, but the latter aren't now happening so the total will be 8 fuel
cell plus two diesel backups. IIRC the H2 is made from natural gas
anyway, which implies the carbon is being stuck somewhere.

[these are the same documents that imply the New Bus For London is a
£50m+ project, as it's in the list of projects to be approved at the
highest level, despite only costing £3.3m for the initial stages]

Tom