Old November 15th 03, 11:16 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default The UK march agaimst Bush

Unfortunately in other posts you have cited an unwillingness to partake
in these protests as evidence that their views are not strongly held.

That was not my intention at all, nor could you reasonably infer that it was:
there are few political issues about which I feel as strongly about as the
European Union, but I made it clear that even this issue would not bring me out
onto the streets of London.

This just shows a serious misunderstanding of the issues. It has been
demonstrated that the British companies are no worse off than their
European counterparts when you add up other taxes and employment costs.
Unfortunately people come to a conclusion having only heard one side of
the story and not taking time to listen to other arguments. I think this
is called a knee jerk reaction and something people should strive to
avoid especially if you are in the legal profession. Have you forgotten
that the 'fuel protests' involved farmers who pay no fuel duty, for both
groups, the protests was less about the stated issue and more about
party politics. Those that would condem action if they were miners or
other traditionally "labour" groups for there irresposible actions were
declaring themselves friends of these protesters.

Okay, I'm wrong about the fuel protestors and they had no justifiable cause for
complaint, if you say so, That does not change the fact that I did and would
not support any demonstration of theirs that caused disruption in London or
anywhere else.

I have not participated in either of those demonstrations. However, in
any event, I did not personally suffer any inconvenience as a result
of either, so I would hardly be likely to sue either of them
successfully.

Neither have you suffered due to the anti-bush march yet you are
offering your services for free. If your motives are purely to punish
those that disrupt then you would be willing to offer your services
against these.

Well, I was in Middlesex Guildhall Crown Court (which fronts Parliament Square)
on Friday and the general view in the Bar Mess was that the Court might have to
close on the day of the demonstration, because we, Judges, prison vans and
juries would not be able to get into it That being so, none of us will be paid
that day if we meant to be appearing in that Court.

I suspect it is not the protests you are really objecting to. Shame you
cannot be honsest about this.

Sorry if you don't believe me - that's your problem not mine.

Marc.