Old December 22nd 09, 08:51 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default 4hrs 50min stranded on a 53 bus

Hi folks

Interesting journey from Lewisham / Blackheath back to Woolwich last night.

Actually the previous bit was also interesting, no trains London Bridge
to Woolwich Arsenal because of "adverse weather and an incident at
Abbey Wood" hence "take the train to Lewisham and your ticket will be
accepted on London Buses".

Heavy snow and temperature below freezing. We ended up in a queue of 15
buses stranded at Charlton Park: the first two had a minor collision,
skidded on black ice and came to a halt alongside / in front of a
bollard, blocking the eastbound lane.

Other buses came to a halt behind and when drivers got out to
investigate they found the icy patch stretched right across the road.
So overtaking the collided buses into the opposite lane was not really
an option. One driver of a bus that was empty tried it and ended up
bouncing off the opposite kerb, so all the others concluded: sit it out
and wait for gritters.

A good chat with the driver who said that the [text] messaging function
on their iBus systems didn't work properly - and meanwhile London Bus
Control was telling all drivers: "Please call in only if you have a
code red, of which we currently have more than 60 to deal with. All
other drivers, please do your best. The gritters are out; if you're
stuck, they will get to you when they can."

Six hours after leaving London Bridge, I was rescued by a cab [booked
by my wife from the company she uses regularly at work]. Total journey
time 6hrs 40. I would normally do it in just 1hr 15, allowing waiting
time for the erratic and slow 380 bus at Woolwich.

Ken

--
Writer / editor on London's River

Old December 22nd 09, 10:36 AM posted to uk.transport.london

A good chat with the driver who said that the [text] messaging
function on their iBus systems didn't work properly - and meanwhile
London Bus
Control was telling all drivers: "Please call in only if you have a
code red, of which we currently have more than 60 to deal with. All
other drivers, please do your best. The gritters are out; if you're
stuck, they will get to you when they can."

I recall my parents telling me how in the 1920s unemployed people had to
clear snow from the streets in return for their benefits. Worth
revisiting? After all, with over 200,000 in London claiming JSA each
bus could have its own gang ready to leap into action; and I am sure the
Chinese would offer a good price on brooms and shovels for an order for
a million or so (assuming TfL coordinate with other cities).

Old December 22nd 09, 12:40 PM posted to uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

On 22 Dec, 09:51, Bearded wrote:
[...]

I have to wonder why not walk in a lot less than that?