Old November 16th 03, 01:05 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default The UK march agaimst Bush

I have about the same amount of control over Europe as I do over the
U.K.

That is simply incorrect.

Sure, if 100% of the population were in 100% agreement, you would have a
point though.

You can mobilise and garner support in the U.K. and change a Government. That
simply cannot be done in the E.U. because of the way it operates, with the
Parliament, Commission and Council of Ministers: you would have to control all
3 elements to effect a change, which is an impossibility.

No it is not. I am as likely to have sypathetic politics with someone
from Italy or Poland as Staines or Gateshead

That may be correct, but even if you did, the Govenment of the E.U. is not
formed out of the majority group of M.E.P.s.

If we take your analogy
then we should not have any elections since the chance of one person
being able to change the government is slight.

But at least in a national parliament that is theoretically possible. With an
amalgamated system such as the E.U. it is not only practically impossible, it
is also theoretically impossible.

This is a fine example to xenophobia in its strictest lexical meaning.
What is different about an election where everybody has a vote other
than they are foreign? You essentially object to foreigners.

Even if your last sentence is correct, that is my right.

Actually, I do not "object" to foreigners, I just don't want my Country to be
governed from a distant corrupt monster over which, whatever you may think, you
and I have virtually no control.

Predjudices aside, the rate of the polititions is generally related to
the power they have. The above predjudice could also be equally applied
to local councils.

Local councils are removeable. Commissioners are not. Even the corrupt ones
continue to exert influence and reap the financial rewards of their corruption,
for life.

So who are these people that make the decisions, the commision (apointed
by elected politicians) prepares potential legislation to be reviews by
both the council of ministers (elected representatives) and the
parliament (elected representatives).

Qualified majority voting will cover most areas of policy by the end of this
decade.

The entire B.S.E. fiasco was handled from Brussels: the British
Govrenment played no part whatsoever - as it proudly proclaimed every
time some further indignity was imposed - "it's out of our hands".....

Don't you mean foot and mouth?

It's late at night (m'lud, he said apologetically): you are right, I meant foot
and mouth, but we should not forget the scandalous way B.S.E. scandal was
handled either.

Marc.