Old November 16th 03, 11:20 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default The UK march agaimst Bush

You essentially object to foreigners.

Even if your last sentence is correct, that is my right.

Alas it was incomplete, meant to have been :

You essentially object to foreigners involved in governing you.

I am less concerned about the nationality of those governing me than I am
concerned about where I am governed from.

But, yes, I do also object to being governed by those who may have sworn oaths
of allegiance to others than my own Head of State.

Actually, I do not "object" to foreigners, I just don't want my
Country to be governed from a distant corrupt monster over which,
whatever you may think, you and I have virtually no control.

Like the Scots or Northerners during the Thatcher/Major year.

It's always amused me that those most in favour of "devolution" to Scottish and
Welsh assemblies are often also the most in favour of the E.U. On the one hand
they want "localisation" of their government, which is understandable (if
damaging to the U.K. as a united whole) but wholly inconsistent with surrender
of other powers and rights to Brussels.

Predjudices aside, the rate of the polititions is generally related to
the power they have. The above predjudice could also be equally
applied to local councils.

Local councils are removeable. Commissioners are not. Even the corrupt
ones continue to exert influence and reap the financial rewards of
their corruption, for life.

Point was that if they are washed out then chances are their power is
small.

Kinnock, Brittan, Berlusconi, Giscard, Fischler, Prodi: all nationally "washed
out", but I would say they have greater power over me than my own Prime
Minister.

Qualified majority voting will cover most areas of policy by the end
of this decade.

Point being?

Point being that even if the entire British population wanted some particular
policy adopted by the E.U. unless the majority of other member states agreed,
it would not happen.

It's late at night (m'lud, he said apologetically): you are right, I
meant foot and mouth, but we should not forget the scandalous way
B.S.E. scandal was handled either.

Like the French being force to import our beef.

I do not agree that the French were "forced" to import our beef, any more than
their citizens were "forced" to eat it. I do however recall the French national
government ignoring European directives and Court rulings on the issue with
impunity. Very communitaire!

Marc.