Old January 26th 10, 04:00 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Default What Would You Do Women Dressed all in Black?

On Tue, 26 Jan 2010 16:49:40 +0000
David Hansen wrote:
Absolutes are difficult. However, I think talk of a global Jewish
conspiracy and the like tends to come from other groups these days.
Certainly when such an attack is made on George Galloway's radio
programme it tends not to come from the right wing nuts but rather
the sort of Islamic nuts who give Islam a bad name.

Though no doubt Galloway will be putting on his palestinian scarf the
moment the argument heads in that direction. I'm surprised he has time to
do a radio show these days what with being thrown out of various arab
countries all the time.

B2003

Old January 26th 10, 04:23 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On 25 Jan, 22:49, SB wrote:
Interesting experience on the Bakelooo Line at the weekend. The
carriage had about 20 people in it, mainly scattered around. At Oxford
Circus two women (sans male escorts) entered one end of the carriage
and sat down. They were dressed all in black - like they do in Iraq /
Iran. They had the real slitty-eyed look. Well quite a few people
looked at them and then at each other and suddenly decided that they
really did not want to be sitting near them, and they moved towards
the other end of the carriage near where I was. Not that that would
have saved them in an emergency. One of two muttered "well you never
know do you?" I got off at Charing Cross, but noticed that by then the
two women had their end of the carriage all to themselves. What would
you have done? SB.

Perhaps they were men.
Anyhow I don't think suicide bombers bomb in pairs.
I would enjoy the space and relax.
Old January 26th 10, 04:27 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On 26 Jan, 09:17, Graeme wrote:
In message
* * * * * TimB wrote:

On Jan 26, 8:24*am, Graeme wrote:
In message
* * * * * SB wrote:

Interesting experience on the Bakelooo Line at the weekend. The
carriage had about 20 people in it, mainly scattered around. At Oxford
Circus two women (sans male escorts) entered one end of the carriage
and sat down. They were dressed all in black - like they do in Iraq /
Iran. They had the real slitty-eyed look. Well quite a few people
looked at them and then at each other and suddenly decided that they
really did not want to be sitting near them, and they moved towards
the other end of the carriage near where I was. Not that that would
have saved them in an emergency. One of two muttered "well you never
know do you?" I got off at Charing Cross, but noticed that by then the
two women had their end of the carriage all to themselves. What would
you have done? SB.

If they'd have been nuns would people have been so stupid? *After all the
costume is much the same.

--
Graeme Wall

This address not read, substitute trains for rail
Transport Miscellany at www.greywall.demon.co.uk/rail
Photo galleries at http://graeme-wall.fotopic.net/

The OP doesn't spend much time in London, does he? An utterly normal
scene.

I'm told that some young Muslim women wear a burka in public just to freak
idiots like that out :-)

--
Graeme Wall

Who by? Wouldn't be very Islamic. I thought the idea was to make the women "invisible", to men.

Old January 26th 10, 04:34 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

SB wrote:
Interesting experience on the Bakelooo Line at the weekend. The
carriage had about 20 people in it, mainly scattered around. At Oxford
Circus two women (sans male escorts) entered one end of the carriage
and sat down. They were dressed all in black - like they do in Iraq /
Iran. They had the real slitty-eyed look. Well quite a few people
looked at them and then at each other and suddenly decided that they
really did not want to be sitting near them, and they moved towards
the other end of the carriage near where I was. Not that that would
have saved them in an emergency. One of two muttered "well you never
know do you?" I got off at Charing Cross, but noticed that by then the
two women had their end of the carriage all to themselves. What would
you have done? SB.

A valid, if well-worn point, sadly wrapped up in racist nonsense.

If you want to try to stimulate debate about the unease felt by many at
not being able to see the faces of others in public, then it's best not
to show your prejudices in the process.

Am I uneasy about sitting next to ANYONE with their face covered?
Yes. That's human nature.

Does the thought of suicide bombers in Israel etc. add to that concern?
Yes, sadly it does, though I wish that wasn't the case.

Would I move?
No, that would be playing into the hands of the terrorists who want us
to feel at risk. It also widens the racial divide and alienates the
moderate majority of Muslims.

By the way. If I read any paper, it tends to be the Daily Mail. It
doesn't seem to have driven me into the arms of UKIP or the BNP yet.
This popular demonisation of DM readers does irritate me. It's a cheap
remark that gets thrown in to every racism discussion by people who
haven't got the brains to think of anything original. It doesn't show
how racially tolerant or socially aware you are. It just demonstrates a
different form of prejudice.

Adrian
Old January 26th 10, 04:36 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On 26 Jan, 16:03, "Recliner" wrote:
wrote in message

On Tue, 26 Jan 2010 15:38:02 +0000
Graeme wrote:
I believe David was referring to the IRA habit of phoning in a
warning about a bomb in one place and then detonating another just
where the police were evacuating people to.

Ah , I didn't realise they did that. Still , nothing those ****s did
would surprise me.

I seem to recall that they sometimes claimed that it was just confusion,
not a deliberate attempt. It's certainly true that their warnings were
often unclear about the target, but that may sometimes have been because
of ignorance/panic/confusion.

No. It happened too often to be random errors. Some of our Irish
neighbours hate us as much as the latest wave of bombers ( but we
still let them tout for money in English pubs) and their tactics and
individual attrocities were as bad as current terrorism.

Old January 26th 10, 04:39 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Of course, this is another big difference between aQ and the IRA -- the
former are proud to kill innocent bystanders (who are most often
Moslems), the latter claimed to have no desire so to do

What they claim and the truth are not necessarily the same. On
reflection it was, or is, hardly ever the same

Old January 26th 10, 05:07 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

/
Iran. They had the real slitty-eyed look. Well quite a few people
looked at them and then at each other and suddenly decided that they
really did not want to be sitting near them, and they moved towards
the other end of the carriage near where I was. Not that that would
have saved them in an emergency. One of two muttered "well you never
know do you?" I got off at Charing Cross, but noticed that by then
the
two women had their end of the carriage all to themselves. What
would
you have done? SB.

Learnt a lesson.... next time I want to travel in comfort, not
surrounded by chavs and screaming kids, dress all in black with a
slitty-eyed look.......

Old January 26th 10, 05:18 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

"Jeff" wrote in message
On 25 Jan, 22:49, SB wrote:
[...]

World's best headline: "One killed in suicide bombing"

Old January 26th 10, 05:37 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

On Tue, 26 Jan 2010 17:49:23 +0100 someone who may be "Willms"
wrote this:-

There is some debate over whether it is religious or cultural.

which is irrelevant.

The issue is the women's right to decide themselves about their
clothing

People tend not to feel entirely free to wear what clothes they
want. Cultural pressures affect almost everyone.

-- or should the government decide if a skirt may reach
beyond the knee, or not, or if a woman may wear a bra or not?

In the latter case ISTR it was some people with their own idea of
what religion demanded.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh
http://www.opsi.gov.uk/acts/acts2000...#pt3-pb3-l1g54