Old January 30th 10, 07:23 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Default Kings Cross to Canning Town...

....with my elderly mother who is afraid of being under ground on the
Underground, and who can't walk far.

Is the easiest option just the 205 bus to Mile End, then round the
corner to the 323 bus to Canning Town?

With my railhead on, I was going to do HS1 from St Pancras to Stratford,
but I believe there's quite a bit of walking at both Stratford stations
and platform 11 (where the buses to StfInt go from) at Stratford
Regional has no step-free access. Is that correct?

One other question: the discounted travelcards for people with National
Rail railcards [1]: are they available from TFL ticket machines, or only
at the windows?
[1]
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tickets/faresa...ets/11696.aspx

Old January 30th 10, 08:09 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On Jan 30, 8:23 pm, Mark Morton wrote:
...with my elderly mother who is afraid of being under ground on the
Underground, and who can't walk far.

Is the easiest option just the 205 bus to Mile End, then round the
corner to the 323 bus to Canning Town?

Seems like a decent enough option. You could continue on the 205 to
Bow Church DLR station, but I wouldn't - it'd involve having to change
at Poplar from one platform to another (as at that point you're
effectively changing direction from westbound to eastbound), and
whilst the DLR is fully accessible and there are lifts and everything,
I don't think it's really worth the hassle. Nothing else immediately
springs to mind.

With my railhead on, I was going to do HS1 from St Pancras to Stratford,
but I believe there's quite a bit of walking at both Stratford stations
and platform 11 (where the buses to StfInt go from) at Stratford
Regional has no step-free access. Is that correct?

Correct, no step-free access - see the note at the top of this NR
webpage:
http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/stations/sfa/details.html

One other question: the discounted travelcards for people with National
Rail railcards [1]: are they available from TFL ticket machines, or only
at the windows?
[1] http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tickets/faresa...ets/11696.aspx

I presume you're thinking about what can be purchased at Canning Town
(which is an LU station). In which case, Railcard-discounted
Travelcards are only available from the ticket windows at LU stations,
and not from the ticket machines - however I'm pretty sure they can be
bought in advance, at least for the next day. You could also buy one
or more in advance at King's Cross from one of the NR ticket offices.
One other suggestion is to buy it/them in advance online from one of
the booking sites, then collect it from a TOD enabled NR ticket
machine (such as those at KX), or else have it/them posted to you/her
if they were ordered far enough in advance.
Old January 30th 10, 11:38 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

"Paul Corfield" wrote in message
On Sat, 30 Jan 2010 20:23:04 +0000, Mark Morton
wrote:

...with my elderly mother who is afraid of being under ground on the
Underground, and who can't walk far.

Is the easiest option just the 205 bus to Mile End, then round the
corner to the 323 bus to Canning Town?

Or the 205 to Aldgate and then the 115 direct to Canning Town. A more
frequent option but be careful to check where the stops are at Aldgate
as your mum can't walk far.

checks

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/gettingaro...treet-2005.pdf

Stop B on the outward trip is a common stop for the 115 and 205

Hard to be certain but stops J and R are probably common for the return
trip. Spider maps only show stop details for routes that depart from
the main area not which terminate there - stupid if you ask me but there
you go.

With my railhead on, I was going to do HS1 from St Pancras to Stratford,
but I believe there's quite a bit of walking at both Stratford stations
and platform 11 (where the buses to StfInt go from) at Stratford
Regional has no step-free access. Is that correct?

Don't even think about it. Shuttle buses, very long hikes along
platforms, stairs etc.

One other question: the discounted travelcards for people with National
Rail railcards [1]: are they available from TFL ticket machines, or only
at the windows?
[1]
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tickets/faresa...ets/11696.aspx

At ticket offices. Not sure where you arriving at Kings Cross but don't
forget the new northern ticket hall has a big ticket office and may be a
bit less pressured than the other tube ticket offices at Kings Cross.
Alternatively as Mizter T has said there may be NR ticket offices that
are more convenient but beware the works going on at Kings Cross main
line have (I think) shifted the FCC GN ticket office.

Railcard-discounted One Day Travelcards are also available from the
FastTicket machines at and around King's Cross (Main Line) Travel Centre,
but finding the right buttons to press is not exactly intuitive. Use the A-Z
destinations button and type in the first few letters of London.

Old January 31st 10, 06:38 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

In message , Mark Morton
writes
...with my elderly mother who is afraid of being under ground on the
Underground, and who can't walk far.

Is the easiest option just the 205 bus to Mile End, then round the
corner to the 323 bus to Canning Town?

My mother always gets the 205 to Aldgate then stays at the same stop and
gets the 115 to Canning Town (she then gets the 300 from the same stop
at Canning Town to get to me but that's another story)

Old January 31st 10, 08:07 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Mizter T wrote:
One other suggestion is to buy it/them in advance online from one of
the booking sites, then collect it from a TOD enabled NR ticket
machine (such as those at KX), or else have it/them posted to you/her
if they were ordered far enough in advance.

Does anyone have any ideas where to buy National Rail-discounted
travelcards online? The TFL site only wants to sell me the
non-discounted ones?
http://visitorshop.tfl.gov.uk/English/BuyTravelcard.htm
Old January 31st 10, 08:09 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

wrote:

...with my elderly mother who is afraid of being under ground on the
Underground, and who can't walk far.

Is the easiest option just the 205 bus to Mile End, then round the
corner to the 323 bus to Canning Town?

Or the 205 to Aldgate and then the 115 direct to Canning Town. A more
frequent option but be careful to check where the stops are at Aldgate
as your mum can't walk far.

checks

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/gettingaro...treet-2005.pdf

Stop B on the outward trip is a common stop for the 115 and 205

Genius plan, thanks for that, and thanks to Steve Fitzgerald for
confirming it.
Old January 31st 10, 11:06 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On Sat, 30 Jan 2010 20:23:04 +0000 someone who may be Mark Morton
wrote this:-

...with my elderly mother who is afraid of being under ground on the
Underground, and who can't walk far. [snip]

With my railhead on, I was going to do HS1 from St Pancras to Stratford,

As well as the objections others have mentioned, this also involves
going in tunnel most of the way between the two stations AFAIR.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh
http://www.opsi.gov.uk/acts/acts2000...#pt3-pb3-l1g54