London Banter

-   -   Richmond Station Car Park on a Sunday (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/1040-richmond-station-car-park-sunday.html)

Mark November 18th 03 08:27 PM

Richmond Station Car Park on a Sunday

One Sunday I'm planning on coming into the West End from Hampshire and
want to park and ride.

Would parking at Richmond (4 miles from the end of the M3) and getting
the tube/train be the best option? Does the car park at Richmond
normally have spaces on a Sunday?

Many thanks.

John Rowland November 18th 03 09:31 PM

Richmond Station Car Park on a Sunday

"Mark" wrote in message
m...

Does the car park at Richmond
normally have spaces on a Sunday?

I can't answer your question, but some of the worst traffic jams I have ever
experienced have been in Richmond on a summer Sunday. I've never been there
on a winter Sunday.

--
John Rowland - Spamtrapped

Ian F. November 18th 03 10:47 PM

Richmond Station Car Park on a Sunday

"Mark" wrote in message
m...

One Sunday I'm planning on coming into the West End from Hampshire and
want to park and ride.

Would parking at Richmond (4 miles from the end of the M3) and getting
the tube/train be the best option?

It's certainly one of them - there are fast-ish trains (overground) from
Richmond to Waterloo, check here for times:

http://tinyurl.com/vlay

Does the car park at Richmond
normally have spaces on a Sunday?

The best car-park is the NCP multi-storey next to the station. I wouldn't
imagine you'd have trouble getting in on a Sunday, although there will be a
lot of shoppers around.

HTH

Ian

g.harman November 19th 03 01:02 AM

On 18 Nov 2003 13:27:54 -0800, (Mark) wrote:

One Sunday I'm planning on coming into the West End from Hampshire and
want to park and ride.

Would parking at Richmond (4 miles from the end of the M3) and getting
the tube/train be the best option? Does the car park at Richmond
normally have spaces on a Sunday?

Many thanks.

Admittedly it was four years ago and things may have changed.
Also travelling from Hampshire I had to be around the Tower bridge
Area for 9 am on an October Sunday which ruled out the train.
I expected to pay a large fee for parking but found that area was
practically empty and the car park charges reflected this.It was about
£2 or £3 for all day. The Traffic was light too and I had no trouble
making my way from the end of M3.
Okay TBridge is not the West End but its probably quicker than from
Richmond along the District line.
London can be a very different place on a Sunday when the work force
is at home in Metroland or Haywards Heath .
Not having cause to drive in london since I have no idea where the
congestion charge Zone boundary is and whether it would affect the
journey.

G.Harman

Mike Harrison November 19th 03 08:44 AM

Richmond Station Car Park on a Sunday

On 18 Nov 2003 13:27:54 -0800, (Mark) wrote:

One Sunday I'm planning on coming into the West End from Hampshire and
want to park and ride.

Would parking at Richmond (4 miles from the end of the M3) and getting
the tube/train be the best option? Does the car park at Richmond
normally have spaces on a Sunday?

Many thanks.

You might find it just as easy to drive all the way in - West End parking on a Sunday should not be
much of a problem, and mostly free.

Robin Cox November 19th 03 12:27 PM

Richmond Station Car Park on a Sunday

"Mark" wrote in message
m...
One Sunday I'm planning on coming into the West End from Hampshire and
want to park and ride.

Would parking at Richmond (4 miles from the end of the M3) and getting
the tube/train be the best option?

I would drive further in.

On street parking is usually free on a Sunday and residents parking
controls don't usually operate either.

If you park on a meter, or in a residents bay check the signs carefully.

What time are you intending to travel?

The traffic on Sunday in the early evening in London is often as bad as
on a weekday.

Robin

Nick H (UK) November 19th 03 12:34 PM

Mike Harrison wrote:
On 18 Nov 2003 13:27:54 -0800, (Mark) wrote:

One Sunday I'm planning on coming into the West End from Hampshire and
want to park and ride.

Would parking at Richmond (4 miles from the end of the M3) and getting
the tube/train be the best option? Does the car park at Richmond
normally have spaces on a Sunday?

Many thanks.

You might find it just as easy to drive all the way in - West End parking on a Sunday should not be
much of a problem, and mostly free.

The last time I tried it I swore never to do it again:-( I was meeting
someone in Chinatown and ended up in a horrifically expensive NCP.
There was very little west end traffic, but very little parking space.
Not because it was in use, but it has all been yellow-lined or
residents-onlyed to serve the current London anti-car regime.

OTOH I parked easily and free in the Russell Square area on Sunday
evening two weeks ago. Stick to the *edge* of the West end and you
should be OK.

--
Nick H (UK)