London Banter

-   -   London Millennium Funicular (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/10407-london-millennium-funicular.html)

CJB February 2nd 10 09:29 PM

London Millennium Funicular

A new funicular opened in London in 2003. It is at the north end of
the new Millennium foot bridge and leads from the bridge to the
embankment. It is located alongside an office building and appears to
be for disabled people. It is enclosed by glass panels with glass
doors at each end.

Manufacturered by Maspero Elevatori - Italy, with electric traction
and a speed of 0.5m/s capacity of 700kg.

http://www.hows.org.uk/personal/rail/lon.htm

Has anyone ever ridden this? I understand that it is currently closed.

CJB.

Paul Terry[_2_] February 3rd 10 05:24 AM

London Millennium Funicular

In message
, CJB
writes

London Millennium Funicular
http://www.hows.org.uk/personal/rail/lon.htm

Has anyone ever ridden this? I understand that it is currently closed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OhsWmaOOQH0

(Shame it wasn't a day-time ride, though)

--
Paul Terry

Basil Jet February 3rd 10 07:55 AM

London Millennium Funicular

Who chose the supplier, and who paid for it, assuming it has been paid for?

--
We are the Strasbourg. Referendum is futile.

Batman55 February 3rd 10 08:44 AM

London Millennium Funicular

"Paul Terry" wrote in message
In message
, CJB
writes

London Millennium Funicular
http://www.hows.org.uk/personal/rail/lon.htm

Has anyone ever ridden this? I understand that it is currently closed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OhsWmaOOQH0

(Shame it wasn't a day-time ride, though)

--
Paul Terry

It can be more easily located in
http://www.flickr.com/photos/bizarrebiking/3505339576/

MaxB

Dominic February 3rd 10 05:38 PM

London Millennium Funicular

On 3 Feb, 17:56, Ian Jelf wrote:
I have been past this **countless** times since 2003 and never once have
I found it working.

Evidently it *has* worked; *but I must have just been unlucky.
--
Ian Jelf, MITG
Birmingham, UK

Shame it's not more reliable, because if it showed itself to be a good
solution for wheelchair access, it could be trialled as a replacement
for some fixed staircases at Tube stations.

Dominic

[email protected] February 3rd 10 06:29 PM

On 03.02.10 18:38, Dominic wrote:
On 3 Feb, 17:56, Ian wrote:
I have been past this **countless** times since 2003 and never once have
I found it working.

Evidently it *has* worked; but I must have just been unlucky.
--
Ian Jelf, MITG
Birmingham, UK

Shame it's not more reliable, because if it showed itself to be a good
solution for wheelchair access, it could be trialled as a replacement
for some fixed staircases at Tube stations.

Dominic

There's one on the metro in Helsinki, I've heard.

Basil Jet February 3rd 10 09:45 PM

wrote:

There's one on the metro in Helsinki, I've heard.

I think you mean Stockholm.

--
We are the Strasbourg. Referendum is futile.

[email protected] February 4th 10 06:33 PM

On 03.02.10 22:45, Basil Jet wrote:
wrote:

There's one on the metro in Helsinki, I've heard.

I think you mean Stockholm.

Helsinki