Old February 6th 10, 10:35 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Conflict of Oyster Cards

In article ,
(Tim Fenton) wrote:

Oh and did you see that programme on what chief councillors are paying
themselves? More than £150,000. in many cases, why don't hey come
and sort out my rubbish for that sort of take from the public purse?

ITYM Chief Executives. Some Councils are very big organisations employing
thousands of staff. Their Chief Executives are well paid like managers in
most large organisations. For the money employed in the organisations I
doubt you will find their pay high compared to outside businesses or the
Civil Service.

*Councillors* are paid expenses, and do not draw a salary. Perhaps
you mean CEOs of councils? And no, I didn't see that programme, but
I regularly see the propaganda put out by groups such as the
so-called Taxpayers' Alliance, whose sole objective is to demonise
Government. What makes their job easier is the number of less than
well informed council tax payers out there who swallow their
arguments without first engaging brain.

Councillors are paid allowances, mostly Basic and Special Responsibility
Allowances. They have to be set by councils using advice from independent
panels of local citizens. The Leader of my council gets about £12,000.
Compare that with what the Chairman of a company employing similar numbers
of people gets. I get £3-4000 as a back bencher.

Councillors are only reimbursed expenses against receipts. In my case that
is only for train fares to meeting outside Cambridge, only infrequently. I
used to get occasional childcare costs too. If the Council used rail
warrants for such travel it would cost taxpayers more because they
wouldn't get the benefit of railcard discounts and would also pay
administration charges.

Phew! I even got back on topic!

--
Colin Rosenstiel