London Banter

-   -   GOBLIN user group on new timetable (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/10466-goblin-user-group-new-timetable.html)

Robin9 March 27th 11 01:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Martin Petrov[_2_] (Post 104569)
It is a very strange line though (at least to me) as it appears to go
nowhere from nowhere, and has so few direct interchanges - but it is a
godsend if you are travelling around North London as it can be so much
quicker than travelling in and out.

Now that the service is 4 tph, the quality is much better and the massive over-crowding is no more. The new train stock is a huge improvement over what we had previously. This is now quite a pleasant way of travelling across North London.

Your description of the line sums up neatly why it is unlikely in its present form ever to become a heavily patronised service. In London the railways that are heavily used are those that enter central London and those that provide inter-change opportunities. It is significant that far more passengers board and alight at Barking and Blackhorse Road than at any other station.

When I first used this service more that 30 years ago, the trains ran from Barking to St. Pancras. It was a good way of getting from Leyton to the Kings Cross area. Can anyone confirm if the tunnel between Upper Holloway and Kentish Town is still navigable?

Robin9 April 7th 11 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robin9 (Post 119045)
Now that the service is 4 tph, the quality is much better and the massive over-crowding is no more. The new train stock is a huge improvement over what we had previously. This is now quite a pleasant way of travelling across North London.

I've just travelled from Upper Holloway to Leyton on the second really warm day of the year - and was very pleased and slightly surprised to find the new train sets are air-conditioned! I repeat: this is now quite a pleasant way of travelling across North London.