Old February 19th 10, 08:07 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Two hour Central line shut down during evening rush hour

On Thu, 18 Feb 2010 12:49:16 -0800 (PST)
Mizter T wrote:
On Feb 18, 12:44=A0pm, wrote:

On Thu, 18 Feb 2010 11:47:16 GMT

"Richard J." wrote:
Incidents like that used to result in an online apology and explanation

Frequently there even used to be poster apologies put up in stations the
following day. Perhaps the price of paper is too high these days....

I saw poster apologies on display at Central Line stations today -
said something along the lines of there being a power failure to
signalling computer in the Liverpool Street area, which led to a
temporary suspension between Holborn and Leystonestone, and severe
disruption to the rest of the line. It was 'signed off' by Mike Smith,
Central Line General Manager.

Still, why let a little fact like that get in the way of having a go
at them for being so disgracefully inept as to not provide poster
apologies...

Its a bit difficult to see the posters from my car, I only went by what
I've been told. But from what my colleague said the disruption was a lot
more extensive than just the section you mentioned since he ended up walking
to Park Royal and if over 2 hours is "temporary" I'd hate to be using the
line when theres what they consider a severe disruption.

And haven't they ever heard of UPS backups? No , probably not , this is LU
after all.

B2003

Old February 19th 10, 10:44 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Thu, Feb 18, 2010 at 11:47:16AM +0000, Richard J. wrote:
David Cantrell wrote on 18 February 2010
No trains at all at White City at 1815, and hordes of people milling
about not knowing what to do. The poor dears obviously didn't think to
wander out of the station and catch a bus.

Well, perhaps they didn't have an encyclopaedic knowledge of bus routes.
So which bus would you have caught to get to Ruislip, then?

I don't care about Ruislip, so don't know.

(And no
cheating by using the Journey Planner!)

It wouldn't be cheating, because I have an iPhone app to look it up for
me, so if I *had* needed to know, then I would have looked it up there
and then. Or, if I were technologically crippled, I would look at the
useful maps and timetables at the bus stop, or ask a member of staff.

And perhaps they thought that a
signal failure at Liverpool Street might possibly not prevent some sort
of service west of White City.

Given that they were being held outside the gateline and the displays
said there was no service at all - no.

--
David Cantrell | Cake Smuggler Extraordinaire

comparative and superlative explained:

Huhn worse, worser, worsest, worsted, wasted
Old February 19th 10, 11:18 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Fri, 19 Feb 2010 11:44:48 +0000
David Cantrell wrote:
It wouldn't be cheating, because I have an iPhone app to look it up for
me, so if I *had* needed to know, then I would have looked it up there
and then. Or, if I were technologically crippled,

You mean if you weren't an "oooh shiny!" fashion victim with more money than
sense?

useful maps and timetables at the bus stop, or ask a member of staff.

So you think you'll find out how to get from white city to epping by bus
from any of the above given it'll probably involve a minimum of 2 seperate
routes (but more like 3 or 4)?

B2003

Old February 22nd 10, 01:09 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Mon, 22 Feb 2010 13:30:05 +0000
David Cantrell wrote:
The aim isn't to go by bus, it's to get there without using the central
line, at least at the beginning of the journey.

FWIW, I'd do:
* some random bus to Shepherds Bush
* train to West Brompton
* tube to somewhere City-ish
* pub until Central line is sorted
* Central line to Epping

If I actually cared about your stupid question, I'd use my phone to look
up something involving a train from Liverpool St.

I don't need a smartphone or the interweb. Off the top of my head I'd:

- walk 200m to wood lane
- get H&C to liverpool street
- train to chingford
- bus or taxi

But then like most people in this group i'm probably more clued up about
getting around london on public transport than your average commuter, but
theres still no excuse for LU just to dump people outside the station with
no information.

B2003