Old March 7th 10, 10:02 PM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london

Default Chiltern Chairman Challenge Evergreen 4 - send your suggestions to Captain Deltic!

wrote in message
| On Sat, 6 Mar 2010 23:18:46 -0000, "Yokel"
| wrote:
|
| |"Jamie Thompson" wrote in message
| |On Mar 6, 1:10 am, Charles Ellson wrote:
| On Fri, 5 Mar 2010 12:11:04 -0800 (PST), Jamie Thompson
|

| I would've imagined that running
| between Buckingham and Quainton road would've been a good line length
| to operate, with little operational railway concerns.
|
| There would be several level crossings. :-(
| |
| |Whilst I'm well aware that 80-odd years have passed since it was
| |closed, I was of the impression that one of the first thing to Met did
| |when they bought the line was to replace the level crossings with
| |bridges - something NR can't even manage on it's mainlines to this
| |day?
| *All* the level crossings?
|
| Every last one?
|
| Even the footpath and accommodation (provided for access to property cut
off
| by the railway construction) crossings?
|
| There are an incredible number of these - I live a few hundred yards the
| "London" side of Ashurst New Forest station
| which has been replaced by two bridges (the "new" [c1985] A326 to the
west
| and a footbridge in the "new" estates to the east - two road crossings if
| you include the one in Ashurst itself which was replaced in the 1930s by
the
| current A35 bridge. I believe there was also a footpath crossing within
100
| yards of my house which was closed about 40 years ago when the "new" part
of
| Peterscroft Avenue was built.
|
| Would that have extended from the short road between what was the BP
| garage and the big house opposite which I think is now a Childrens
| home? It used to be just a private boarding house and I stayed there
| for a year or two in the early 70's It looked as if there had been a
| recently closed path down the end but I was never sure. The Landlady
| had been there a while and could remember when the A35 crossed on the
| Level and the Angry cheese was still functioning.

You were nearer seeing it than I was. We did not move to Ashurst until
1976, but that sounds as though it could well be the crossing that people
have told me about. However, the location someone pointed out on the train
one day was further east, somewhere near where Wood Road meets the railway
and becomes Ashdene Road. Not having seen it operational myself, I cannot
be sure.
--
- Yokel -

"Yokel" posts via a spam-trap account which is not read.