London Banter

-   -   Fleet Line? (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/1058-fleet-line.html)

Kat November 22nd 03 05:25 PM

Fleet Line?

I was listening to a play on the radio yesterday set around a supposedly
disused Underground line which had been closed due to flooding in the
1920s
Did this line ever exist or is it only artistic licence?
I've only managed to find references to it as an early name for the
Jubilee Line.
TIA
--
Kat The one thing that unites all human beings, regardless of age, gender,

religion, economic status, or ethnic background, is that, deep down
inside, we all believe that we are above-average drivers.

Martin Whelton November 22nd 03 09:25 PM

Fleet Line?

No the Fleet line never exisited, it was the original name for the
Jubilee Line until 1977 when it was remamed by the the newly elected
Conservative administration at the GLC to commerate the Queen's Silver
Jubilee in 1977.

Martin

[email protected] November 22nd 03 11:15 PM

Fleet Line?

Kat wrote in message ...
I was listening to a play on the radio yesterday set around a supposedly
disused Underground line which had been closed due to flooding in the
1920s
Did this line ever exist or is it only artistic licence?
I've only managed to find references to it as an early name for the
Jubilee Line.
TIA

There have only been a few abandoned major streches of sub-surface or
tube line, such as the current Thameslink line before 1988, the old
CSLR line to the City and the Aldwych branch, off the top of my head.
A whole Underground line seems just too useful to abandon!

Robert Woolley November 23rd 03 12:06 AM

Fleet Line?

On Sat, 22 Nov 2003 18:25:19 +0000, Kat
wrote:

I was listening to a play on the radio yesterday set around a supposedly
disused Underground line which had been closed due to flooding in the
1920s
Did this line ever exist or is it only artistic licence?
I've only managed to find references to it as an early name for the
Jubilee Line.
TIA

Sounds like artistic licence.

The Charing X Loop on the Northern was flooded during the Second World
War. However, as it had been closed since the Hampstead tube was
upgraded and sealed off from the rest of the network it didn't make a
lot of difference...

Rob.

--
rob at robertwoolley dot co dot uk

Nick Cooper November 23rd 03 01:07 PM

Fleet Line?

wrote:

I was listening to a play on the radio yesterday set around a supposedly
disused Underground line which had been closed due to flooding in the
1920s
Did this line ever exist or is it only artistic licence?
I've only managed to find references to it as an early name for the
Jubilee Line.
TIA

Sounds like artistic licence.

The Charing X Loop on the Northern was flooded during the Second World
War. However, as it had been closed since the Hampstead tube was
upgraded and sealed off from the rest of the network it didn't make a
lot of difference...

It did when a bomb managed to hit it during WW2....
--
Nick Cooper

The London Underground at War:
http://www.cwgcuser.org.uk/personal/...ra/lu/tuaw.htm
625-Online - classic British television:
http://www.625.org.uk
'Things to Come' - An Incomplete Classic:
http://www.thingstocome.org.uk