London Banter

-   -   HS2 expected to run alongside a dual carriageway in the Chilterns (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/10584-hs2-expected-run-alongside-dual.html)

E27002 March 11th 10 05:49 PM

HS2 expected to run alongside a dual carriageway in the Chilterns

On Mar 11, 8:59*am, Tom Barry wrote:
amogles wrote:

Tom Barry wrote:

Adonis confirmed roughly what I'd doodled, actually - Euston to OOC in
tunnel, then GW&GC up through Ruislip, then tunnel to Amersham and out

Isn't there space on the approaches to Paddington for two further
tracks (former Birmingham line), now largely occupied by taxi stabling
and the like. Wouldn't that then be by far the cheaper way to get to
Old Oak Common, especially seeing Crossrail will free up a lot of
platform space in Paddington. Why the fixation with Euston?

Bit easier to demolish Euston than Paddington. *Have you seen the plans
for Euston? *Rather more than just a couple of extra tracks - they're
talking 10 high speed rail platforms extending nearly down to Euston
Road (i.e. blitzing the current concourse and bus station) and 13
'classic' platforms on the east. *The whole thing eats a couple of
streets on the west side, and given a billion quid you'd hope they'd
finally link it up to Euston Square underground while they're at it.

I'm not sure you could get away with that at Paddington. *In London
terms it's a staggering change. *They'll probably stick up a propylaeum
while they're at it to get the crusties on side.

Tom

A rebuild of Euston! How perfect! I doubt any of this will happen,
but the idea of losing the polsonite box on Euston Road does have some
appeal, especially if Euston Square Station is linked in, AND we have
the propylaeum back.

Tom Barry March 12th 10 10:09 AM

E27002 wrote:

I'm not sure you could get away with that at Paddington. In London
terms it's a staggering change. They'll probably stick up a propylaeum
while they're at it to get the crusties on side.

Tom

A rebuild of Euston! How perfect! I doubt any of this will happen,
but the idea of losing the polsonite box on Euston Road does have some
appeal, especially if Euston Square Station is linked in, AND we have
the propylaeum back.

It's not a 'Polsonite box', it's quite a nice modernist station that
works very well, particularly if you arrive by underground - however,
since by definition the justification for building it was to replace a
building outmoded by progress, one can't complain if in turn it is to
suffer the same fate. It does have to be progress rather than militant
nostalgia, though, in particular they ought to fix the distance from the
Euston Road and link in Euston Square underground, which are the two big
problems with the current design, before farting around with an Adonis
Arch or similar. Apparently this is part of the plans, although I've
not read that far yet (there's a *hell* of a lot of information on the
site).

Tom

David Hansen March 13th 10 01:13 PM

HS2 expected to run alongside a dual carriageway in the Chilterns

On Fri, 12 Mar 2010 10:09:10 +0000 someone who may be Tom Barry
wrote this:-

it's quite a nice modernist station that
works very well,

Euston is a good example of how well BR could do "modern"
architecture, not that this excuses demolishing the arch. Some of
the problems with it today are operational, such as not advertising
platforms early enough the most charitable explanation for which is
that there is not enough time and/or staff to clean trains in time.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh
http://www.opsi.gov.uk/acts/acts2000...#pt3-pb3-l1g54

E27002 March 23rd 10 04:50 PM

On Mar 12, 3:09*am, Tom Barry wrote:
E27002 wrote:
I'm not sure you could get away with that at Paddington. *In London
terms it's a staggering change. *They'll probably stick up a propylaeum
while they're at it to get the crusties on side.

Tom

A rebuild of Euston! *How perfect! *I doubt any of this will happen,
but the idea of losing thepolsonitebox on Euston Road does have some
appeal, especially if Euston Square Station is linked in, AND we have
the propylaeum back.

It's not a 'Polsonitebox', it's quite a nice modernist station that
works very well, particularly if you arrive by underground

You may think that. And, I concede that the circulating area works
well. The ramps to the platforms are not so pleasant.

The issue is not functionality. It is form. I would prefer to pass
thru Brunel’s Shed at Paddington, the Rebuilt Liverpool Street, New
York's Grand Central, or Los Angeles Union Station.

Euston was designed for people without souls. It has little to uplift
the spirit. I am sure even my dog would find it an uninspiring
edifice, although, robots would be at home there.

- however,
since by definition the justification for building it was to replace a
building outmoded by progress, one can't complain if in turn it is to
suffer the same fate. It does have to be progress rather than militant
nostalgia, though, in particular they ought to fix the distance from the
Euston Road and link in Euston Square underground, which are the two big
problems with the current design, before farting around with an Adonis
Arch or similar. Apparently this is part of the plans, although I've
not read that far yet (there's a *hell* of a lot of information on the
site).

My view is that HS2 is truly pie in the sky. However, I would love to
see Euston rebuilt. I would also like to see London's Northwest Rail
approaches tidied up.