London Banter

-   -   Upgrading sub surface tube lines to 750V (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/10687-upgrading-sub-surface-tube-lines.html)

[email protected] April 12th 10 01:33 PM

Upgrading sub surface tube lines to 750V

I read about this in wikipedia but is it actually going to happen? If so what
will happen on sections where tube and sub surface stock run on the same track
- ie raynors lane to uxbridge and acton town to ealing common. Will these
sections be kept at 630V or will the piccadilly stock be able to handle 750V
anyway?

B2003

Paul Scott April 12th 10 01:50 PM

d wrote:
I read about this in wikipedia but is it actually going to happen? If
so what will happen on sections where tube and sub surface stock run
on the same track - ie raynors lane to uxbridge and acton town to
ealing common. Will these sections be kept at 630V or will the
piccadilly stock be able to handle 750V anyway?

There is definitely a power supply upgrade going on, just announced he

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/corporate/medi...tre/15249.aspx

but they don't explicitly say they are raising the system voltages - it
wouldn't necessarily follow anyway, the regulated voltage could stay the
same but with a higher current draw being allowed.

Related to this, there are apparently Network Rail projects going on at the
moment to separate out all the mainline and 'tube' supplies where they are
connected, to allow the NR third rail voltage to be raised to a standard 750
volts, and to allow regenerative braking. An example is the Waterloo and
City, still fed off the SR for obvious historic reasons.

What I'm wondering is that if LU adopted a 750 volt standard on the SSR, NR
wouldn't necessarily need to do this - unless they want to have separate
billing anyway - there's also practicalities such as isolations for
maintenance.

Paul S

[email protected] April 12th 10 01:56 PM

Upgrading sub surface tube lines to 750V

On Mon, 12 Apr 2010 14:50:26 +0100
"Paul Scott" wrote:
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/corporate/medi...tre/15249.aspx

but they don't explicitly say they are raising the system voltages - it
wouldn't necessarily follow anyway, the regulated voltage could stay the
same but with a higher current draw being allowed.

Raising the voltage does seem an odd thing to do not least because they dropped
the voltage from 640V years ago citing power saving reasons (which sounds like
rubbish TBH , lower voltages are less efficient , not more).

B2003

Peter Corser April 12th 10 01:57 PM

"Paul Scott" wrote in message
d wrote:
[...]

The Central Line is already 750V - it was converted with the last upgrade.

There is still a difference between nominal voltages on LUL (4 rail) & NR (3
rail).

Peter
--
Peter & Elizabeth Corser
Leighton Buzzard, UK

Basil Jet[_2_] April 12th 10 02:11 PM

On 12/04/2010 14:56, d wrote:

Raising the voltage does seem an odd thing to do not least because they dropped
the voltage from 640V years ago citing power saving reasons (which sounds like
rubbish TBH , lower voltages are less efficient , not more).

.... unless the lower voltages leak less.

[email protected] April 12th 10 02:28 PM

Upgrading sub surface tube lines to 750V

On Mon, 12 Apr 2010 14:57:36 +0100
"Peter Corser" wrote:
The Central Line is already 750V - it was converted with the last upgrade.

Does that mean the western central line can't be used for stock moves any
more except for 92 stock?

B2003

Denis McMahon[_2_] April 12th 10 02:32 PM

Basil Jet wrote:
On 12/04/2010 14:56, d wrote:

Raising the voltage does seem an odd thing to do not least because
they dropped
the voltage from 640V years ago citing power saving reasons (which
sounds like
rubbish TBH , lower voltages are less efficient , not more).

... unless the lower voltages leak less.

Lower voltage means a higher current draw for the same power, and
transmission losses are proportional to I^2.

Rgds

Denis McMahon

MIG April 12th 10 03:20 PM

"Peter Corser" wrote:
The Central Line is already 750V - it was converted with the last upgrade.

Does that mean the western central line can't be used for stock moves any
more except for 92 stock?

B2003

Doesn't Bakerloo tube stock run on 750 V beyond Queens Park?

The Gardener April 12th 10 05:33 PM

On Apr 12, 2:33*pm, wrote:
I read about this in wikipedia but is it actually going to happen? If so what
will happen on sections where tube and sub surface stock run on the same track
*- ie raynors lane to uxbridge and acton town to ealing common. Will these
sections be kept at 630V or will the piccadilly stock be able to handle 750V
anyway?

B2003

The issue on LUL is that at a nominal voltage of 750 V, the maximum
voltage that could be seen at the train could be 900 V (under light
vulnerable to damage at such a voltage (eg by flashover). This
particularly applies to starting resistances. It is for this reason
that the Southern's line voltage is kept to 660 V in the inner
suburban area (to about 15 miles from London, plus branches like
Tattenham Corner and Epsom Downs), owing to the interfaces at Waterloo
(W&C), East Putney, Wimbledon, Gunnersbury and Richmond, and the
complexity of the inner suburban network.

(Although not used by Southern trains, the Richmond - Gunnersbury
section is part of the SR electrification system and is separated from
the NLL system at Gunnersbury Junction by a gap in the con-rail. A
similar gap also exists on the District Line.)

The line voltage is graded upwards outside the suburban area; on the
Brighton Line, for example, the last 660 V substation is Coulsdon
North (IIRC).

The NLL and Euston - Watford DC electrification remains at 650 V owing
to the inteface with the Bakerloo Line at Queen's Park. Beyond there,
instead of the standard LU +400 and -230 V arrangement, the outside
conductor rail is at 650 V and the centre one is bonded to the running
rails; these cross-bonds can be seen at regular intervals. Beyond
Harrow and Wealdstone, the redundant centre rail is retained to reduce
the resistance of the traction return circuit, as the DC lines only
use single-rail track circuits, unlike the Southern which uses double
rail.

I understand that LUL has a long-term strategy to upgrade the line
voltage to 750 V, and all new stock is capable of this, but until the
last of the older stock is withdrawn (I believe that the D stock
cannot operate at 750 V but subsequent builds can), this will not be
possible across the complete network.

HTH.

Charles Ellson April 13th 10 05:28 AM

Upgrading sub surface tube lines to 750V

"Peter Corser" wrote:
The Central Line is already 750V - it was converted with the last upgrade.

Does that mean the western central line can't be used for stock moves any
more except for 92 stock?

B2003

Doesn't Bakerloo tube stock run on 750 V beyond Queens Park?

According to :-
http://www.statemaster.com/encyclope...-Great-Britain

the DC line is 650v which ISTR has been stencilled on many trackside
cabinets for years. OTOH the native trains have been able to run on
750v since at least the c.501 if not also the immediately preceding
LMS trains. ATM there doesn't seem to be an "official" confirmation
which leaps to the front of the Google queue.

Mortimer April 13th 10 07:06 AM

"Charles Ellson" wrote in message
the DC line is 650v which ISTR has been stencilled on many trackside
cabinets for years. OTOH the native trains have been able to run on
750v since at least the c.501 if not also the immediately preceding
LMS trains. ATM there doesn't seem to be an "official" confirmation
which leaps to the front of the Google queue.

I noticed as I was travelling on the GW main line between Didcot and
Paddington that there are lineside cabinets labelled "650V" miles away from
the sections where the London Transport lines run alongside - or even where
the line is OHLE electrified. From memory I think I saw them around the
Maidenhead-Twyford area. What are they for?

Hugo Rogers April 13th 10 07:27 AM

On 13/04/2010 08:06, Mortimer wrote:
"Charles Ellson" wrote in message
the DC line is 650v which ISTR has been stencilled on many trackside
cabinets for years. OTOH the native trains have been able to run on
750v since at least the c.501 if not also the immediately preceding
LMS trains. ATM there doesn't seem to be an "official" confirmation
which leaps to the front of the Google queue.

I noticed as I was travelling on the GW main line between Didcot and
Paddington that there are lineside cabinets labelled "650V" miles away
from the sections where the London Transport lines run alongside - or
even where the line is OHLE electrified. From memory I think I saw them
around the Maidenhead-Twyford area. What are they for?

they will either be for signalling equipment or for the GSM R
transmitters or they could be for the proposed GW line electrification.

Mortimer April 13th 10 07:59 AM

"Hugo Rogers" wrote in message
On 13/04/2010 08:06, Mortimer wrote:
"Charles Ellson" wrote in message
the DC line is 650v which ISTR has been stencilled on many trackside
cabinets for years. OTOH the native trains have been able to run on
750v since at least the c.501 if not also the immediately preceding
LMS trains. ATM there doesn't seem to be an "official" confirmation
which leaps to the front of the Google queue.

I noticed as I was travelling on the GW main line between Didcot and
Paddington that there are lineside cabinets labelled "650V" miles away
from the sections where the London Transport lines run alongside - or
even where the line is OHLE electrified. From memory I think I saw them
around the Maidenhead-Twyford area. What are they for?

they will either be for signalling equipment or for the GSM R transmitters
or they could be for the proposed GW line electrification.

Would signalling or GSM use such high voltages? I'd expect low voltages for
anything that didn't require large amounts of power and would therefore
incur I-squared-R losses. I thought that the proposed GW electrification
would be OHLE, so why would it need 650V supplies?

Peter Masson[_2_] April 13th 10 08:08 AM

Upgrading sub surface tube lines to 750V

"Mortimer" wrote

Would signalling or GSM use such high voltages? I'd expect low voltages
for anything that didn't require large amounts of power and would
therefore incur I-squared-R losses. I thought that the proposed GW
electrification would be OHLE, so why would it need 650V supplies?

What voltage do point motors run at?

Peter

Paul Scott April 13th 10 08:32 AM

"Mortimer" wrote in message
[...]

650 V is the standard lineside power supply for signalling and comms, so
nothing new at all really. Already needed for all the 'non-traction' loads.

Paul S

[email protected] April 13th 10 08:37 AM

Upgrading sub surface tube lines to 750V

On Tue, 13 Apr 2010 09:08:00 +0100
"Peter Masson" wrote:
"Mortimer" wrote

Would signalling or GSM use such high voltages? I'd expect low voltages
for anything that didn't require large amounts of power and would
therefore incur I-squared-R losses. I thought that the proposed GW
electrification would be OHLE, so why would it need 650V supplies?

What voltage do point motors run at?

I can't imagine them running at 650V would be very healthy for the track
maintenance staff!

B2003

David Hansen April 13th 10 09:21 AM

Upgrading sub surface tube lines to 750V

On Tue, 13 Apr 2010 08:59:03 +0100 someone who may be "Mortimer"
wrote this:-

Would signalling or GSM use such high voltages? I'd expect low voltages for
anything that didn't require large amounts of power and would therefore
incur I-squared-R losses. I thought that the proposed GW electrification
would be OHLE, so why would it need 650V supplies?

650V, which is low voltage, is the standard signalling supply and
has been used since at least the 1960s as part of power signalling
schemes. It is used for the same reason that higher voltages are
used in electricity distribution systems, to minimise losses and
conductor cost.

The voltage is reduced and rectified as necessary for use with
signalling equipment.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh
http://www.opsi.gov.uk/acts/acts2000...#pt3-pb3-l1g54

Stephen Furley April 13th 10 11:20 AM

Upgrading sub surface tube lines to 750V

wrote this:-

Would signalling or GSM use such high voltages? I'd expect low voltages for
anything that didn't require large amounts of power and would therefore
incur I-squared-R losses. I thought that the proposed GW electrification
would be OHLE, so why would it need 650V supplies?

650V, which is low voltage, is the standard signalling supply and
has been used since at least the 1960s as part of power signalling
schemes. It is used for the same reason that higher voltages are
used in electricity distribution systems, to minimise losses and
conductor cost.

The voltage is reduced and rectified as necessary for use with
signalling equipment.

Why choose an odd Voltage like 650V? What frequency? Single or three
phase?

The Gardener April 13th 10 05:48 PM

On Apr 13, 12:20*pm, Stephen Furley wrote:

Why choose an odd Voltage like 650V? *What frequency? *Single or three
phase?

Like a lot of things on the railway, its origins are historical. 650 V
was the highest value of "medium" voltage under the old Factories Act,
which meant that (at that time) a permit-to-work system was not
required for "live" work. Such a system of work would these days be
illegal under the Electricity at Work Regs, of course.

It is single-phase at 50 Hz and it, by the definitons of BS 7671, an
"IT" (earth-free) system. This allows the system to continue to
operate in the event of a first earth fault, until such time as it can
be fixed.

Modern signalling power installations have some form of insulation
monitoring equipment to measure the resistance between the two
conductors (as it's earth-free, we can't really call them "live" and
"neutral", of course!) and if it drops below a certain level, an alarm
is sent. On electrified lines, this is usually to the electrical
control room; on non-electrified lines, to the signal box.

The WCML modernisation scheme uses (mostly!) 400 V three-phase, but
this has not been a great success owing to the higher currents (and
therefore greater number of sources of supply, known as Principal
Supply Points or PSPs) required.

The 650 V distribution system supplies power to locations known as
"Functional Supply Points" from which a spur feeder is taken to a
650/110 V transformer and thence at 110 V into the signalling location
cases (the grey boxes you see everywhere and generally referred to as
"locs"). On the Western, the FSPs are usually separate from the
signalling locs and are identified as such with a yellow stripe.
Elsewhere, the 650 V equipment is within the signalling loc case.

The policy for main lines now is that the distribution systems have
either a PSP at each end (WCML practice) or a PSP at one end and an
auxiliary PSP (APSP) at the other (Western practice), to enable
resupply in the event of a failure. In particular, a dual-fed system
will allow a faulted cable section to be isolated and the two sections
to be fed from each end.

PSPs have two sources of supply. On DC electrified lines the principal
source of supply is from the 33 or 11 kV system that supplies the
traction substations, via a step-down transformer to 400 V (which also
supplies the local substation loads); usually the signalling supply is
taken from one phase (usually red) and stepped up to 650 V. The
standby supply is from the mains.

On AC electrified lines, the principal source of supply is the mains,
with back-up from the 25 kV OLE via a step-down transformer and
voltage regulator. This latter is, in effect, a 1:1 auto-transformer
with automatic on-load tapchanger, to maintain the output voltage at
650 V. More modern installations use an Uninterruptible Power Supply,
which uses a DC link inverter to produce a steady 650 V. These can be
seen, for example, on the electrified section of the MML at, for
example, Kentish Town, Silkstream Junction, Radlett, St Albans, Luton,
Legrave and Bedford. (They look like a small container from the
outside.)

On non-electrified lines, tjhe principal source of supply is from the
mains, with the secondary from a diesel generator. A UPS is used on
SSI routes to ensure there is no break in the supply. (Like most
electronic equioment, SSI cannot tolerate any significant interruption
in supply, whereas a relay interlocking can tolerate the short blip
betwen the mains going down and the genny starting up.) At some sites,
the genny is three-phase, and at others single-phase, but (except in
Scotland), all distribution takes place at 650 V. The Scots have a
slightly different system whereby distribution takes place at 400 V
and is stepped up to 650 V on each individual feeder. The main reason
for this is that given that much of Scotland is sparsely populated, it
is easier to hire a 400 V generator in an emergency to connect to the
distribution board at a remote site than to keep a stockpile of 650 V
gennies, which is the practice elsewhere (especially on the Western).

APSPs don't have a standby genny but do have provision for a mobile
genny to be brought in.

Traditionally, PSPs were located in brick buildings and usually
adjacent to a relay room, or in the ground floor of a PSB (eg Exeter,
Peterborough, Trent). This is particularly noticeable on the Western,
where they often look like a small chalet. On the Eastern and former
LMR, they tended to be next to the relay room but in a separate
building, with the transformers in a compound in between. (Eg Welwyn
Garden City, Hitchin, Royston, Grantham, Newark Northgate, Todmorden
(Hall Royd Junction), St Helens Junction.) On the WCML and the early
GE and Glasgow schemes, they were an integral part of the feeder
station or Track Sectioning Cabin, and not necessarily by a relay
room. On the Southern and other DC lines, they are also co-located
within the substation. Modern installations tend to be containerised
and there is now a move to replacing existing PSPs with containers as
the equipment becomes life-expired. Examples of these can be seen at
Charfield, Ashchurch and Weston-super-Mare; completely new examples
can be found at Wrexham General and Trowell Junction, among others.

HTH.

E27002 April 13th 10 06:46 PM

On Apr 13, 10:48*am, The Gardener wrote:
[...]

Thank you for your comprehensive explanation.

Appreciated.

tony sayer April 13th 10 09:00 PM

Upgrading sub surface tube lines to 750V

The WCML modernisation scheme uses (mostly!) 400 V three-phase, but
this has not been a great success owing to the higher currents (and
therefore greater number of sources of supply, known as Principal
Supply Points or PSPs) required.

Ummm.. Rather interesting this but this 400 volt 3 phase supply was
"difficult" in quite what way for signalling purposes?..
--
Tony Sayer

Charles Ellson April 14th 10 01:43 AM

Upgrading sub surface tube lines to 750V

On Tue, 13 Apr 2010 08:37:22 +0000 (UTC), d
wrote:

On Tue, 13 Apr 2010 09:08:00 +0100
"Peter Masson" wrote:
"Mortimer" wrote

Would signalling or GSM use such high voltages? I'd expect low voltages
for anything that didn't require large amounts of power and would
therefore incur I-squared-R losses. I thought that the proposed GW
electrification would be OHLE, so why would it need 650V supplies?

What voltage do point motors run at?

I can't imagine them running at 650V would be very healthy for the track
maintenance staff!

OH routes used to run 240v to locations remote from a public supply on
the topmost/outermost wires which were indicated by red insulators.

Charles Ellson April 14th 10 01:50 AM

Upgrading sub surface tube lines to 750V

On Tue, 13 Apr 2010 22:00:22 +0100, tony sayer
wrote:

The WCML modernisation scheme uses (mostly!) 400 V three-phase, but
this has not been a great success owing to the higher currents (and
therefore greater number of sources of supply, known as Principal
Supply Points or PSPs) required.

Ummm.. Rather interesting this but this 400 volt 3 phase supply was
"difficult" in quite what way for signalling purposes?..

As implied above, it requires more transformation points and/or more
copper in the ground. If it replaces a single-phase supply, it also
(assuming 3P+N) doubles the number of wires to be played with (or
stolen) and enables the various "interesting" effects caused by breaks
in the neutral or one phase wire without other conductors being
interrupted.

tony sayer April 14th 10 09:28 AM

Upgrading sub surface tube lines to 750V

In article , Charles Ellson
scribeth thus
wrote:

The WCML modernisation scheme uses (mostly!) 400 V three-phase, but
this has not been a great success owing to the higher currents (and
therefore greater number of sources of supply, known as Principal
Supply Points or PSPs) required.

Ummm.. Rather interesting this but this 400 volt 3 phase supply was
"difficult" in quite what way for signalling purposes?..

As implied above, it requires more transformation points and/or more
copper in the ground. If it replaces a single-phase supply, it also
(assuming 3P+N) doubles the number of wires to be played with (or
stolen) and enables the various "interesting" effects caused by breaks
in the neutral or one phase wire without other conductors being
interrupted.

OK what sort of current draw does a typical signal post, gantry frame,
need then?...

Suppose in that you could include points motors etc...

And that much difference in overall power supplied 650 V single phase
rather then I presume 415 or 440 or was it actually 400 three phase?.

Take your point re more cable required seem the price of copper is on
the up again. Bit on the news of some scrota almost frying himself in a
sub station...
--
Tony Sayer

Charles Ellson April 15th 10 01:12 AM

Upgrading sub surface tube lines to 750V

On Wed, 14 Apr 2010 10:28:42 +0100, tony sayer
wrote:

In article , Charles Ellson
scribeth thus
wrote:

The WCML modernisation scheme uses (mostly!) 400 V three-phase, but
this has not been a great success owing to the higher currents (and
therefore greater number of sources of supply, known as Principal
Supply Points or PSPs) required.

Ummm.. Rather interesting this but this 400 volt 3 phase supply was
"difficult" in quite what way for signalling purposes?..

As implied above, it requires more transformation points and/or more
copper in the ground. If it replaces a single-phase supply, it also
(assuming 3P+N) doubles the number of wires to be played with (or
stolen) and enables the various "interesting" effects caused by breaks
in the neutral or one phase wire without other conductors being
interrupted.

OK what sort of current draw does a typical signal post, gantry frame,
need then?...

The relevant figure is probably something more like how much average
current is drawn overall by the various equipment in the general area
x miles away at the end of the cable, remembering that other than
signal lamps and track circuits ...

Suppose in that you could include points motors etc...

.... a lot of it is transient.

And that much difference in overall power supplied 650 V single phase
rather then I presume 415 or 440 or was it actually 400 three phase?.

It's years since I played with 3-phase calculations (and in 20 years I
only ever had one 3-phase device to deal with) but IIRC the
(theoretical) "trick" is that with a balanced load your neutral
conductor can be almost non-existent (as occasionally occurs on LU
when it gets stolen) thus significantly cutting down on the amount of
copper compared with a single-phase circuit delivering the same amount
of power over two wires. Someone who has covered the subject rather
more recently might be able to do a quick back-of-a-Niquitin-patch
calculation but assuming ideal conditions my quick calculation is that
the CSA reduction of 3-phase (sans neutral) over 1-phase for the same
total current delivered is around 50% although I have a nagging doubt
that root-2 comes into it somewhere and pushes the reduction down to
25-33%.

tony sayer April 15th 10 04:37 PM

Upgrading sub surface tube lines to 750V

As implied above, it requires more transformation points and/or more
copper in the ground. If it replaces a single-phase supply, it also
(assuming 3P+N) doubles the number of wires to be played with (or
stolen) and enables the various "interesting" effects caused by breaks
in the neutral or one phase wire without other conductors being
interrupted.

OK what sort of current draw does a typical signal post, gantry frame,
need then?...

The relevant figure is probably something more like how much average
current is drawn overall by the various equipment in the general area
x miles away at the end of the cable, remembering that other than
signal lamps and track circuits ...

Yes.. Just wondered if that had now fallen due to LED lighting etc?..

--
Tony Sayer

Dr J R Stockton[_17_] April 15th 10 05:14 PM

Upgrading sub surface tube lines to 750V

In uk.transport.london message , Wed, 14
Apr 2010 10:28:42, tony sayer posted:

And that much difference in overall power supplied 650 V single phase
rather then I presume 415 or 440 or was it actually 400 three phase?.

Take your point re more cable required seem the price of copper is on
the up again.

For the same power, three-phase requires little over half of the amount
of conductor in comparison with single-phase. Consider three single-
phase supplies driven at 120 degrees to each other : obviously the live
wires deliver the same AC current as the live wires in a three-phase
supply, but three neutral wires are required. Now join the three
neutrals into one; the three return currents, being of different phases,
add to nothing, with balanced loads; therefore the neutral, carrying
only off-balance currents, can be comparatively thin. See sig.

--
(c) John Stockton, near London.
Web URL:http://www.merlyn.demon.co.uk/ - FAQish topics, acronyms, & links.

David Hansen April 15th 10 07:28 PM

Upgrading sub surface tube lines to 750V

On Tue, 13 Apr 2010 10:48:59 -0700 (PDT) someone who may be The
Gardener wrote this:-

Like a lot of things on the railway, its origins are historical. 650 V
was the highest value of "medium" voltage under the old Factories Act,
which meant that (at that time) a permit-to-work system was not
required for "live" work. Such a system of work would these days be
illegal under the Electricity at Work Regs, of course.

That is rather amusing on a railway line equipped with unprotected
conductor rails energised at a nominal 750 V d.c. (For those who
don't know unprotected conductor rails are one of the very few
exemptions under the Electricity At Work Regulations 1989).

The policy for main lines now is that the distribution systems have
either a PSP at each end (WCML practice) or a PSP at one end and an
auxiliary PSP (APSP) at the other (Western practice), to enable
resupply in the event of a failure. In particular, a dual-fed system
will allow a faulted cable section to be isolated and the two sections
to be fed from each end.

Do you know if switching is automatic, remote,or manual? Perhaps the
answer is, it depends:-)

Thanks for taking the time to produce a comprehensive posting. I
found it very interesting.

D7666 April 15th 10 07:30 PM

On Apr 13, 6:48*pm, The Gardener wrote:

650 V
was the highest value of "medium" voltage under the old Factories Act,

aha ... cue sound of things falling into place ... I did not know
that ... a useful fact when trying to understand these things.

--
Nick

The Gardener April 15th 10 08:59 PM

Upgrading sub surface tube lines to 750V

Gardener wrote this:-

[...]

*I will *always* explain revoked encryption keys, unless RIP prevents me
*http://www.opsi.gov.uk/acts/acts2000...#pt3-pb3-l1g54

automatic switching, whereas the (significantly cheaper) Western
system has manual switching. At the moment, these are the only routes
where reconfigurable supplies have been provided. In the case of the
Western, this is slowly being rolled out across the system's main
lines and is in use of the lines south from Gloucester towards Swindon
(the first significant application and primarily as a testbed) and
Bristol, for example.

Present policy is that if the average cost of delay minutes on a route
exceeds a certain amount, then at resignalling, a reconfigurable
system is to be provided. This is a fairly recent change of policy,
which is why it has only been applied extensively on the WCML. The
Western schemes are not, generally, associated with resignallings
(except for the new scheme in the Newport area) but are the result of
a policy to improve the availability and reliability of sigpower
schemes.

The 650 V system supplies all signalling and telecoms loads,
interlockings and point machines. In addition, a certain level of
emergency lighting at relay rooms is also supplied off the 650 V
system. The power supply arrangements at level crossings varies; at
some sites all the equipment is supplied from the 650 V system and at
others, only the signalling interlockings, with the barriers and
lights supplied directly from the mains. Owing to the risk of wrong-
side failures caused by a loss of supply, level crossings apart from
AOCL and ABCL are fitted with battery back-up and the equipment is
supplied directly from the battery, in the manner of a UPS. Telecoms
loads are also usually fitted with battery back-up.

One of the problems with a three-phase system is that all UK approved
signalling equipment is single-phase, and given that point machines
tend to have much higher loads than any other equipment (typically 2-3
kVA, whereas most other equipment has demands in the tens of VA), load
balancing is difficult. In the case of level crossings, three-phase
battery chargers are used. As to why we don't use three-phase point
machines, the answer is I don't know, apart from that there are no
product-approved examples. They are used elsewhere, so they do exist.

I have, somewhere in my possession, a table of typical signalling
equipment loads, which I will try to find and summarise on this group
next week. As far as LED signals are concerned, I believe that they
have a higher demand than bulb signals, owing to the large number of
individual LEDs as opposed to a single bulb.

Hope this is of further use.

Q April 16th 10 12:34 AM

Upgrading sub surface tube lines to 750V

"Dr J R Stockton" wrote in message
nvalid...

Now join the three
neutrals into one; the three return currents, being of different phases,
add to nothing, with balanced loads; therefore the neutral, carrying
only off-balance currents, can be comparatively thin. See sig.

Or not... Subject to the type of load it is recommended that you up-rate the
neutral's

Capacitive loads, those with a poor crest factor and high THD will
(unchecked) burn your neutral bars/links out in no time at all.

This has been a big problem in I.T installs of ye olden days using current
kit and high density computing.

Then we get into the problems with kVAr...

Charles Ellson April 16th 10 03:38 AM

On Fri, 16 Apr 2010 01:34:32 +0100, "Q" ..@.. wrote:

"Dr J R Stockton" wrote in message
. invalid...

Now join the three
neutrals into one; the three return currents, being of different phases,
add to nothing, with balanced loads; therefore the neutral, carrying
only off-balance currents, can be comparatively thin. See sig.

Or not... Subject to the type of load it is recommended that you up-rate the
neutral's

Doesn't the cheat for that one involve the use of star-delta
transformers at each end of the circuit (i.e. no neutral at all on the
"trunk" part of the circuit) and controlling the out-of-balance
currents appropriately ?

tony sayer April 16th 10 11:27 AM

Upgrading sub surface tube lines to 750V

I have, somewhere in my possession, a table of typical signalling
equipment loads, which I will try to find and summarise on this group
next week. As far as LED signals are concerned, I believe that they
have a higher demand than bulb signals, owing to the large number of
individual LEDs as opposed to a single bulb.

Hope this is of further use.

Very interesting that .. be nice to see the table you refer to in due
course..
--
Tony Sayer

Dr J R Stockton[_17_] April 17th 10 07:35 PM

Upgrading sub surface tube lines to 750V

In uk.transport.london message
, Fri, 16 Apr 2010 01:34:32, Q posted:

"Dr J R Stockton" wrote in message
. invalid...

Now join the three
neutrals into one; the three return currents, being of different phases,
add to nothing, with balanced loads; therefore the neutral, carrying
only off-balance currents, can be comparatively thin. See sig.

Or not... Subject to the type of load it is recommended that you up-rate the
neutral's

Capacitive loads, those with a poor crest factor and high THD will
(unchecked) burn your neutral bars/links out in no time at all.

Symmetrical linear loads, such as pure capacitative or inductive,
maintain the balance of neutral currents, by symmetry.

Third (and its multiples) harmonic distortion currents will add in the
neutral rather than cancelling. But it takes a lot of THD to give the
same current in the neutral as is in each of the lives.

In the quoted part, "comparatively" is a comparison between the joined
neutral and the three unjoined ones; and "thin" really means cross-
section rather than diameter.

D7666 April 19th 10 07:30 PM

Upgrading sub surface tube lines to 750V

On Apr 12, 2:57*pm, "Peter Corser"
wrote:

The Central Line is already 750V - it was converted with the last upgrade..

Was it ?

Not according to what I see , and what I have checked on, today, with
the DC traction SCADA indicating line wide values fluctuating around
620 +/- 10 V ... that suggests its 630 V

--
Nick