London Banter

-   -   Lots Of Persons Under Trains (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/10732-lots-persons-under-trains.html)

[email protected] April 21st 10 02:41 PM

Lots Of Persons Under Trains

On Wed, 21 Apr 2010 14:20:45 +0100
"simon" wrote:
A good kick in a lot of cases would be an appropriate response.

B2003

err no, that just teaches a child that using violence is a good method to
get what you want, so dont complain when they kick you back.

That sort of stupid liberal bull**** is the reason we have such badly behaved
kids these days. Try having an ethical discussion with a 5 year old.

B2003

simon[_2_] April 21st 10 04:20 PM

"simon" wrote:
A good kick in a lot of cases would be an appropriate response.

B2003

err no, that just teaches a child that using violence is a good method to
get what you want, so dont complain when they kick you back.

That sort of stupid liberal bull**** is the reason we have such badly
behaved
kids these days. Try having an ethical discussion with a 5 year old.

B2003

You could say its liberal if I didnt advocate discipline. Using violence is
easy, discipline without that requires use of a brain, patience and
understanding - think Mary Poppins, excellent discipline with happy
children. Violence results in cowed children and screwed up adults - now
thats evil !

Cheers,
Simon

[email protected] April 21st 10 04:25 PM

Lots Of Persons Under Trains

On Wed, 21 Apr 2010 17:20:09 +0100
"simon" wrote:
You could say its liberal if I didnt advocate discipline. Using violence is

Yes , all very emotive calling a slap "violence" isn't it. Makes all the
women and metrosexuals reach for the hankies and placards.

easy, discipline without that requires use of a brain, patience and
understanding - think Mary Poppins, excellent discipline with happy

I don't know if you're aware , but she's a fictional character. Just thought
I'd fill you in on that...

children. Violence results in cowed children and screwed up adults - now
thats evil !

Sure, whatever you say. No doubt the increasingly poor behaviour of kids is
down to all the extra violence and school and in the home these days.

B2003

Paul Terry[_2_] April 21st 10 06:44 PM

Lots Of Persons Under Trains

In message , d
writes

No doubt the increasingly poor behaviour of kids is down to all the
extra violence and school and in the home these days.

Couldn't agree more. "The children now love luxury. They have bad
manners, contempt for authority, they show disrespect to their
elders.... They no longer rise when elders enter the room. They
contradict their parents, chatter before company, gobble up dainties at
the table, cross their legs, and are tyrants over their teachers."

Attributed to Socrates by Plato.

simon[_2_] April 21st 10 07:44 PM

"simon" wrote:
You could say its liberal if I didnt advocate discipline. Using violence
is

Yes , all very emotive calling a slap "violence" isn't it. Makes all the
women and metrosexuals reach for the hankies and placards.

Didnt call a slap violence. A smack can be useful as one tool in a range of
methods, however it doesnt work with many children.

easy, discipline without that requires use of a brain, patience and
understanding - think Mary Poppins, excellent discipline with happy

I don't know if you're aware , but she's a fictional character. Just
thought
I'd fill you in on that...

OK, so you know the lady at our local school, she can halt a child with a
look at a hundred yards. Theyre not afraid of her - in fact love and respect
her. None of them have their spirit broken by her. Oh, you dont know the
lady, well think of Mary Poppins in her late 50's.

children. Violence results in cowed children and screwed up adults - now
thats evil !

Sure, whatever you say. No doubt the increasingly poor behaviour of kids
is
down to all the extra violence and school and in the home these days.

B2003

No, a lot of it is due to poor discipline either at home, at school or both.

Cheers,
Simon

[email protected] April 22nd 10 08:34 AM

Lots Of Persons Under Trains

"simon" wrote:
You could say its liberal if I didnt advocate discipline. Using violence
is

Yes , all very emotive calling a slap "violence" isn't it. Makes all the
women and metrosexuals reach for the hankies and placards.

Didnt call a slap violence. A smack can be useful as one tool in a range of
methods, however it doesnt work with many children.

It works with most younger kids. You're wasting your time trying to explain
to a small child why they shouldn't tease the dog or play with a full kettle.
They won't understand and will forget what you said in minutes anyway. Pain
is remembered however and if they think they'll get another slap most (not all)
won't do it again and a slap is a lot preferable to them ending up in A&E or
worse.

Sure, whatever you say. No doubt the increasingly poor behaviour of kids
is
down to all the extra violence and school and in the home these days.

B2003

No, a lot of it is due to poor discipline either at home, at school or both.

Well that we agree on.

B2003

[email protected] April 22nd 10 08:37 AM

Lots Of Persons Under Trains

On Wed, 21 Apr 2010 19:44:55 +0100
Paul Terry wrote:
In message , d
writes

No doubt the increasingly poor behaviour of kids is down to all the
extra violence and school and in the home these days.

Couldn't agree more. "The children now love luxury. They have bad
manners, contempt for authority, they show disrespect to their
elders.... They no longer rise when elders enter the room. They
contradict their parents, chatter before company, gobble up dainties at
the table, cross their legs, and are tyrants over their teachers."

Attributed to Socrates by Plato.

Swings and roundabouts. Kids are less well behaved than 30 years ago. But
they're probably better behaved than 200 years ago. Everything goes in
cycles but thats no reason to be complacent.

B2003

tony sayer April 22nd 10 09:39 AM

Lots Of Persons Under Trains

In article , d
scribeth thus
On Wed, 21 Apr 2010 19:44:55 +0100
Paul Terry wrote:
In message ,

No doubt the increasingly poor behaviour of kids is down to all the
extra violence and school and in the home these days.

Couldn't agree more. "The children now love luxury. They have bad
manners, contempt for authority, they show disrespect to their
elders.... They no longer rise when elders enter the room. They
contradict their parents, chatter before company, gobble up dainties at
the table, cross their legs, and are tyrants over their teachers."

Attributed to Socrates by Plato.

Swings and roundabouts. Kids are less well behaved than 30 years ago. But
they're probably better behaved than 200 years ago. Everything goes in
cycles but thats no reason to be complacent.

B2003

My dad was a right sod in the early 30's but I wasn't an angel either in
the 60's in fact a lot of people have commented that our three offspring
are very well behaved perhaps its due to their rather strict French born
mother who "has ways" of controlling them..

And that doesn't mean giving them a good kicking up the backside or
walloping them either!....
--
Tony Sayer

simon[_2_] April 22nd 10 12:47 PM

"simon" wrote:
[...]

SNIP....
B2003

Who lets a small child play near a full kettle ? If child with dog a problem
then keep them apart. in other words adapt the environment for the child and
if you arent prepared to do that then dont have one.
Many of those children with whom a slap doesnt work are the most challenging
and rewarding of all. If we can manage to discipline without a slap then so
should everyone else. or at least limit it to last resort.

Cheers,
Simon

MIG April 22nd 10 07:25 PM

On 22 Apr, 19:09, Paul Corfield wrote:
On Thu, 22 Apr 2010 13:47:06 +0100, "simon" wrote:
Who lets a small child play near a full kettle ? If child with dog a problem
then keep them apart. in other words adapt the environment for the child and
if you arent prepared to do that then dont have one.
Many of those children with whom a slap doesnt work are the most challenging
and rewarding of all. If we can manage to discipline without a slap then so
should everyone else. or at least limit it to last resort.

You aren't going to convince Boltar. *I'm sure that if Daleks were real
and did got round zapping people that Boltar would want them put in
charge of child discipline. *"It only takes one extermination and the
child will surely learn to behave".

I dunno. They are supposedly cold and logical, but if they spent less
time hysterically screaming "exterminate" and actually fired their
weapons, I'm sure they wouldn't get thwarted so often.

They'd be more like the mothers who scream at their children in public
and cause more disturbance than the children do.