London Banter

-   -   Which railway line would you like to see re-opened if money wasno object? (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/10774-railway-line-would-you-like.html)

E27002 May 3rd 10 10:27 PM

Which railway line would you like to see re-opened if money wasno object?

On May 2, 5:56*pm, Subterraneo wrote:
E27002 wrote:
On May 2, 12:56 pm, "Mortimer" wrote:
This is pure pie-in-the sky.

Suppose cost, profitability and practicality (eg no houses built on the
trackbed) were not an issue.

Which closed line would be your favourite to be reopened - just so you could
travel on it, see the views and soak up the atmosphere?

I think I'd vote for the Scarborough - Whitby - Saltburn line along the
coast. The view of the sea from Sandsend Viaduct, across Larpool Viaduct and
brief glimpses from Staithes Viaduct would be well worth it.

Sheffield to Banbury.

The Northern Heights - it's needed for traffic congestion relief plus
you'd get a fantastic view over north-east London from the Muswell Hill
viaduct.

I still ponder why that one was ever closed. And, if the Northern
Line is ever split, the second route to Edgware would be very useful.

Glen Labah May 4th 10 01:32 AM

Which railway line would you like to see re-opened if money was no object?

In article
,

E27002 wrote:
On May 2, 12:56 pm, "Mortimer" wrote:
This is pure pie-in-the sky.

Suppose cost, profitability and practicality (eg no houses built on the
trackbed) were not an issue.

Since this is being posted to international-relevant
misc.transport.urban-transit, the line between Astoria, Oregon, USA and
communities to the west and south (Seaside, Warrenton, etc) would be
nice. That area suffers from horrific road congestion during the
tourist season, and adding a useful tourist attraction that could move
people around in that area would probably be helpful.

Milwaukee Road east of Seattle on Snoqualmie Pass would be king of neat,
but only if the Interstate highway that tore up the scenic value of the
entire valley were torn out too.

There were a smattering of lines on Vancouver Island and in southern
British Columbia that would have been nice to ride. The Crow's Nest
Pass line might have been an interesting trip. I got to see freight
going over the hill during some of its last years, but by then the route
was freight only.

Maybe the Florida East Coast line that used to run all the way out to
Key West?

Can we include stuff that no longer has passenger service, but still
exists?

If so, that spectacular cog railway from Santos up to São Paulo in
Brasil would be fun to ride. Today, only the iron ore does so.

--
Please note this e-mail address is a pit of spam due to e-mail address
harvesters on Usenet. Response time to e-mail sent here is slow.