London Banter

-   -   'That's a nice tie' (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/1085-thats-nice-tie.html)

Ken Wheatley November 27th 03 04:22 PM

'That's a nice tie'

I was on the Central Line today. I noticed a striking looking woman
get on at, I think, St. Pauls and sit opposite me. At Holborn she got
off. But at she stood up, she looked at me and gave me a great big
smile. 'That's a nice tie' she said, then got off.

Very small, but it just about made my day. No-one had told her it was
mandatory to studiously ignore everyone else on the tube. She actually
acted in a human and pleasant way. Good for her.

Stimpy November 27th 03 08:10 PM

'That's a nice tie'

Ken Wheatley wrote:
I was on the Central Line today. I noticed a striking looking woman
get on at, I think, St. Pauls and sit opposite me. At Holborn she got
off. But at she stood up, she looked at me and gave me a great big
smile. 'That's a nice tie' she said, then got off.

Very small, but it just about made my day. No-one had told her it was
mandatory to studiously ignore everyone else on the tube. She actually
acted in a human and pleasant way. Good for her.

But was it, indeed, a nice tie? Maybe she was taking the p*ss ;-)

Bondee November 27th 03 08:29 PM

'That's a nice tie'

"Ken Wheatley" wrote in message
I was on the Central Line today. I noticed a striking looking woman
get on at, I think, St. Pauls and sit opposite me. At Holborn she got
off. But at she stood up, she looked at me and gave me a great big
smile. 'That's a nice tie' she said, then got off.

Very small, but it just about made my day. No-one had told her it was
mandatory to studiously ignore everyone else on the tube. She actually
acted in a human and pleasant way. Good for her.

Did she shake her Tic-Tacs at you?
: )

Dave Newt November 27th 03 09:24 PM

'That's a nice tie'

Stimpy wrote:

Ken Wheatley wrote:
I was on the Central Line today. I noticed a striking looking woman
get on at, I think, St. Pauls and sit opposite me. At Holborn she got
off. But at she stood up, she looked at me and gave me a great big
smile. 'That's a nice tie' she said, then got off.

Very small, but it just about made my day. No-one had told her it was
mandatory to studiously ignore everyone else on the tube. She actually
acted in a human and pleasant way. Good for her.

But was it, indeed, a nice tie? Maybe she was taking the p*ss ;-)

I can sense a lot of u.t.l. people wearing their favouritest tie on the
central line tomorrow!

Ken Wheatley November 27th 03 11:28 PM

'That's a nice tie'

On Thu, 27 Nov 2003 21:10:26 -0000, "Stimpy"
wrote:

Ken Wheatley wrote:
I was on the Central Line today. I noticed a striking looking woman
get on at, I think, St. Pauls and sit opposite me. At Holborn she got
off. But at she stood up, she looked at me and gave me a great big
smile. 'That's a nice tie' she said, then got off.

Very small, but it just about made my day. No-one had told her it was
mandatory to studiously ignore everyone else on the tube. She actually
acted in a human and pleasant way. Good for her.

But was it, indeed, a nice tie? Maybe she was taking the p*ss ;-)

Went through my mind too. That just proves how cynical we've become.
I'm sure she was genuine.

The tie was, I suppose, not bad. It has white dogs on a navy
background looking a bit like Space Invaders, with each row separated
by some thin lighter blue lines. I think I bought it at Austin Reed at
Stansted when on a trip and I'd forgotten to pack one.

Anyway - don't care if she was taking the **** - still cheered me up.

Seanie O'Kilfoyle November 28th 03 12:20 PM

'That's a nice tie'

wrote:

Ken Wheatley wrote:
[...]

In any event she was referring to the bloke from Bangkok who was sat next to
you

NER !

Brian Watson November 29th 03 07:55 AM

'That's a nice tie'

wrote:

Ken Wheatley wrote:
[...]

Ah, but I bet she didn't shake her Tic-Tacs at him.

--
Brian
"Not quite an Angel"

Nick Cooper December 1st 03 12:32 AM

'That's a nice tie'

On Thu, 27 Nov 2003 17:22:51 +0000, Ken Wheatley
wrote:

I was on the Central Line today. I noticed a striking looking woman
get on at, I think, St. Pauls and sit opposite me. At Holborn she got
off. But at she stood up, she looked at me and gave me a great big
smile. 'That's a nice tie' she said, then got off.

Very small, but it just about made my day. No-one had told her it was
mandatory to studiously ignore everyone else on the tube. She actually
acted in a human and pleasant way. Good for her.

Obviously not "local," then....
--
Nick Cooper

The London Underground at War:
http://www.cwgcuser.org.uk/personal/...ra/lu/tuaw.htm
625-Online - classic British television:
http://www.625.org.uk
'Things to Come' - An Incomplete Classic:
http://www.thingstocome.org.uk

CJG Now Thankfully Living In The North December 1st 03 05:06 PM

'That's a nice tie'

wrote:

I was on the Central Line today. I noticed a striking looking woman
get on at, I think, St. Pauls and sit opposite me. At Holborn she got
off. But at she stood up, she looked at me and gave me a great big
smile. 'That's a nice tie' she said, then got off.

Christmas. Looking for that right tie to buy her dad. Obvisouly.

Ian Jelf December 1st 03 10:41 PM

'That's a nice tie'

In article , Ken Wheatley
writes
I was on the Central Line today. I noticed a striking looking woman
get on at, I think, St. Pauls and sit opposite me. At Holborn she got
off. But at she stood up, she looked at me and gave me a great big
smile. 'That's a nice tie' she said, then got off.

Very small, but it just about made my day. No-one had told her it was
mandatory to studiously ignore everyone else on the tube. She actually
acted in a human and pleasant way. Good for her.

Quite!

When I'm guiding in London I usually wear either my "Monopoly Squares"
tie or my "Beck Tube Map" tie. The latter elicits *endless* favourable
comment, I have to say, not only from my passengers but from others
(even including Londoners - gasp!). People seem genuinely to *love*
it.

If only the rest of my wardrobe brought forth reactions like that.......
--
Ian Jelf, MITG, Birmingham, UK
Registered "Blue Badge" Tourist Guide for

Clive D. W. Feather December 2nd 03 07:47 PM

'That's a nice tie'

In article , Ian Jelf
writes
When I'm guiding in London I usually wear either my "Monopoly Squares"
tie or my "Beck Tube Map" tie.

I used to have a "I'd be lost without it" T-shirt bearing a map, for
wearing in London in the summer.

A map of the Newcastle Metro, that is.

--
Clive D.W. Feather, writing for himself | Home:
Fax: +44 870 051 9937 | Work:

Kat December 2nd 03 09:12 PM

'That's a nice tie'

In message , Clive D. W. Feather
writes
In article , Ian Jelf
writes
When I'm guiding in London I usually wear either my "Monopoly Squares"
tie or my "Beck Tube Map" tie.

I used to have a "I'd be lost without it" T-shirt bearing a map, for
wearing in London in the summer.

A map of the Newcastle Metro, that is.

Which reminds me there's a big London Underground map on the floor of a
Toronto subway station... can't remember which one.
--
Kat Frogs have it easy. They can eat what bugs them.

John Rowland December 2nd 03 09:27 PM

'That's a nice tie'

"Kat" wrote in message

Which reminds me there's a big London Underground map on
the floor of a Toronto subway station... can't remember which one.

Are you sure that wasn't in London Ontario?

--
John Rowland - Spamtrapped

Kat December 2nd 03 10:10 PM

'That's a nice tie'

In message , John Rowland
writes
"Kat" wrote in message

Which reminds me there's a big London Underground map on
the floor of a Toronto subway station... can't remember which one.

Are you sure that wasn't in London Ontario?

Could have been; so easy to get lost on the Toronto subway ;-)
--
Kat Frogs have it easy. They can eat what bugs them.

Mark Brader December 2nd 03 11:01 PM

'That's a nice tie'

"Kat":
Which reminds me there's a big London Underground map on the floor of a
Toronto subway station... can't remember which one.

It's my home station, Eglinton. A company bought all advertising space
in the station, including sections of floors, walls, stair risers, and
recycling bins, as companies here sometimes do. I counted about 60 Under-
ground diagrams (or rather sections of them -- there are no complete ones),
about 40 roundels, and only about 20 places where the advertiser was
actually identified. It was all done overnight and felt rather surreal
the first time I saw it.

No, it wasn't Transport for London spending your money. It was a travel
web site in Canada, and the (almost hidden) advertising slogan was "get
to London or anywhere else".

They used quite a recent version of the diagram, by the way; it includes
the improved rendering of Earl's Court where you can see that no trains
run from Richmond or Ealing Broadway to Edgware Road.
--
Mark Brader, Toronto "Don't anthropomorphize evolution:
It hates that." --John Freiler

Kat December 2nd 03 11:14 PM

'That's a nice tie'

In message , Mark Brader
writes
"Kat":
Which reminds me there's a big London Underground map on the floor of a
Toronto subway station... can't remember which one.

It's my home station, Eglinton.

Snipped

Thanks Mark.
I know it's OT for this group but can you tell me anything about the
sculpture over the track just outside Union; I didn't get a close look
at it but it seemed to be something to do with building the railway..
--
Kat Frogs have it easy. They can eat what bugs them.

Mark Brader December 3rd 03 01:27 AM

'That's a nice tie'

"Kat" writes:
I know it's OT for this group but can you tell me anything about the
sculpture over the track just outside Union; I didn't get a close look
at it but it seemed to be something to do with building the railway..

The Chinese Railroad Workers Memorial? Sorry, I never heard of it.
--
Mark Brader, Toronto | "It was too crazy to be true,

Ian Jelf December 3rd 03 08:59 AM

'That's a nice tie'

In article , Clive D. W. Feather
writes
In article , Ian Jelf
writes
When I'm guiding in London I usually wear either my "Monopoly Squares"
tie or my "Beck Tube Map" tie.

I used to have a "I'd be lost without it" T-shirt bearing a map, for wearing
in London in the summer.

A map of the Newcastle Metro, that is.

Worryingly, I have one of those somewhere, as well..... :-)

Kat December 3rd 03 09:51 AM

'That's a nice tie'

In message , Mark Brader
writes
"Kat" writes:
I know it's OT for this group but can you tell me anything about the
sculpture over the track just outside Union; I didn't get a close look
at it but it seemed to be something to do with building the railway..

The Chinese Railroad Workers Memorial? Sorry, I never heard of it.

Must be my memory playing tricks then...
--
Kat Frogs have it easy. They can eat what bugs them.