London Banter

-   -   Metropolitan Main Line Question (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/10938-metropolitan-main-line-question.html)

E27002 June 26th 10 05:39 PM

Metropolitan Main Line Question

On Jun 26, 10:22*am, Chafford wrote:
On 26 June, 17:32, allantracy wrote:

Incidentally, when I visited a few years back for Steam on the Met I
felt slightly conned that the steam trains seemed to be operating on
the Chiltern tracks and not what I would consider as LU proper.

Try this!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zJT9h...eature=related

Wow, beautiful.

Basil Jet[_2_] June 26th 10 05:47 PM

On 26/06/2010 18:39, E27002 wrote:
On Jun 26, 10:22 am, wrote:
On 26 June, 17:32, wrote:

Incidentally, when I visited a few years back for Steam on the Met I
felt slightly conned that the steam trains seemed to be operating on
the Chiltern tracks and not what I would consider as LU proper.

Try this!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zJT9h...eature=related

Wow, beautiful.

As much as I feel being excited by steam trains is silly and
old-fashioned, I just can't help myself.

E27002 June 26th 10 06:03 PM

On Jun 26, 10:22 am, *wrote:
On 26 June, 17:32, *wrote:

Incidentally, when I visited a few years back for Steam on the Met I
felt slightly conned that the steam trains seemed to be operating on
the Chiltern tracks and not what I would consider as LU proper.

Try this!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zJT9h...eature=related

Wow, beautiful.

As much as I feel being excited by steam trains is silly and
old-fashioned, I just can't help myself.

Why? It is living technology. It is true heavy engineering that we
do not see every day. Moreover, it takes us back to a better age.

MatSav[_2_] June 27th 10 01:42 PM

Metropolitan Main Line Question

E27002 wrote:
On Jun 26, 10:47 am, Basil Jet
wrote:

As much as I feel being excited by steam trains is silly and
old-fashioned, I just can't help myself.

Why? It is living technology. It is true heavy engineering
that we
do not see every day. Moreover, it takes us back to a better
age.

"Different", rather than "Better", I think.

--
MatSav

E27002 June 27th 10 05:35 PM

Metropolitan Main Line Question

On Jun 27, 6:42*am, "MatSav" wrote:
E27002 wrote:
On Jun 26, 10:47 am, Basil Jet
wrote:

As much as I feel being excited by steam trains is silly and
old-fashioned, I just can't help myself.

Why? *It is living technology. *It is true heavy engineering
that we
do not see every day. *Moreover, it takes us back to a better
age.

"Different", rather than "Better", I think.

Matter of opinion: technologically we advance by leaps and bounds.

OTOH the sorry state of Western Civilization is there for all to see.

Mizter T June 27th 10 09:35 PM

Metropolitan Main Line Question

On Jun 27, 9:09*pm, Ian Jelf wrote:

In message
,
E27002 writes

Matter of opinion: technologically we advance by leaps and bounds.

OTOH the sorry state of Western Civilization is there for all to see.

Couldn't have put that better myself, I'm afraid.......

Must say I didn't have you down for a 'what is the world coming to'
type Ian!

(And - how do I put this diplomatically - E27002's comments come with
a degree of baggage, shall we say.)

E27002 June 27th 10 09:44 PM

On Jun 27, 2:35*pm, Mizter T wrote:
On Jun 27, 9:09*pm, Ian Jelf wrote:

In message
,
E27002 writes

Matter of opinion: technologically we advance by leaps and bounds.

OTOH the sorry state of Western Civilization is there for all to see.

Couldn't have put that better myself, I'm afraid.......

Must say I didn't have you down for a 'what is the world coming to'
type Ian!

(And - how do I put this diplomatically - E27002's comments come with
a degree of baggage, shall we say.)

Well thanks Mizter T. I had you down as one of the thinkers on Usenet.

1506[_2_] June 28th 10 04:05 PM

Metropolitan Main Line Question

On Jun 28, 12:42*am, Ian Jelf wrote:
In message
,
Mizter T writes

On Jun 27, 9:09*pm, Ian Jelf wrote:

In message
,
E27002 writes

Matter of opinion: technologically we advance by leaps and bounds.

OTOH the sorry state of Western Civilization is there for all to see.

Couldn't have put that better myself, I'm afraid.......

Must say I didn't have you down for a 'what is the world com
ing to'
type Ian!

I hadn't used to be like that. * Honestly. * And I still believe that we
live in a fabulous country in a good age where technology and liberal
social attitudes have given us more care and comfort than in history.

But I see people (a minority but a large one) who simply don't conform
to society's norms and just at best don't care about the common good and
at worst are positively hostile to it. * They don't see reasons for a
rule, so they just ignore it. * That applies to everything from theft of
metal to low-level stuff like feet on seats.

I've not been at the Daily Mail (honestly!) but I do see a lot (and I
mean a *lot* of different bits of Britain.

The degree of vandalism suffered by many preservation societies should
give us all pause. I can think of few things more disheartening than
painstaking hours of work by volunteers being destroyed in seconds.