London Banter

-   -   Thing at Herne Hill (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/10951-thing-herne-hill.html)

MaxB June 30th 10 09:54 PM

Thing at Herne Hill

On the new siding, adjacent to Platform1, I noticed a small, unpainted
box about 8" square next to one of the running rails. My first thought
was that it was a detonator placer as it had 2 prongs sticking out to
touch the rail, just below rail head height. I assume they would be
depressed if a wheel ran over them.

The box is immediately below the 4 car stop, so would normally only be
activated by a longer train. Can anyone tell me what it is/does?

Incidentally, do they still use detonator placers?

MaxB

PhilD July 1st 10 07:31 AM

Thing at Herne Hill

On 30 June, 22:54, MaxB wrote:
The box is immediately below the 4 car stop, so would normally only be
activated by a longer train. Can anyone tell me what it is/does?

Your desctiption (that I've cut) makes it sound like a treadle of some
sort. I'm not familiar with this particular one, but in other places
they are used to activate level crossings, amongst other things.
Perhaps this one lights up a stop board for longer trains, or
something like that.

PhilD