London Banter

-   -   Acton Tram Depot (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/10957-acton-tram-depot.html)

[email protected] July 3rd 10 10:04 PM

Acton Tram Depot

I was very saddened to see the site of Acton Tram Depot in Uxbridge
Road: the old shed (and latterly bus garage) is nearly totally
demolised. What a shame that it could not have been saved and
incorporated into some form od development as was, I understand,
suggested at one time.

I will never forget the Open Day (1994, I think) when Routemaster RM1
was parked on the cobbled forecourt, and Colin Curtis, O.B.E. was
holding court therein, and kindly autographed my programme booklet!

The end of one more bit of London's transport heritage.

On a related topic, I recently discovered an "in situ" manhole cover
on a pavement in Wandsworth, still embossed woth "London Tramways" in
Johnstone lettering!

M.M.