London Banter

-   -   LU pop songs (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/10990-lu-pop-songs.html)

MaxB July 18th 10 10:46 AM

LU pop songs

The Bakerloo seems to have done OK from Waterloo Sunset to Warwick
Avenue via Baker Street (and you could add the Lambeth (North) Walk I
suppose. I can't recall any other line getting similar treatment?

MaxB

Basil Jet[_2_] July 18th 10 01:11 PM

LU pop songs

On 18/07/2010 11:46, MaxB wrote:
The Bakerloo seems to have done OK from Waterloo Sunset to Warwick
Avenue via Baker Street (and you could add the Lambeth (North) Walk I
suppose.

The BBC have a rehearsal studio in Delaware Road, which was where many
Peel Sessions were recorded, including the Can song "Up The Bakerloo
Line With Anne".

Siouxsie & The Banshees did a song called "Circle" which has many
Underground line references.

And, as I mentioned the other week, Bob Mould did an album called
"District Line".

dB July 18th 10 03:05 PM

LU pop songs

On 18/07/2010 11:46, MaxB wrote:
The Bakerloo seems to have done OK from Waterloo Sunset to Warwick
Avenue via Baker Street (and you could add the Lambeth (North) Walk I
suppose. I can't recall any other line getting similar treatment?

MaxB

There's Finchly Central on the Northern Line.

[email protected] July 18th 10 03:18 PM

LU pop songs

On Sun, 18 Jul 2010 16:05:12 +0100, dB wrote:

On 18/07/2010 11:46, MaxB wrote:
The Bakerloo seems to have done OK from Waterloo Sunset to Warwick
Avenue via Baker Street (and you could add the Lambeth (North) Walk I
suppose. I can't recall any other line getting similar treatment?

MaxB

There's Finchly Central on the Northern Line.

The New Vaudeville Band?

Clive July 18th 10 05:33 PM

LU pop songs

In message , dB
writes
On 18/07/2010 11:46, MaxB wrote:
The Bakerloo seems to have done OK from Waterloo Sunset to Warwick
Avenue via Baker Street (and you could add the Lambeth (North) Walk I
suppose. I can't recall any other line getting similar treatment?
MaxB

There's Finchly Central on the Northern Line.

The song that I think you're quoting also has the line "Ten stops from
Golders Green, change at Camden Town" If I remember correctly. (That's
not a given.)
--
Clive

[email protected] July 18th 10 05:35 PM

LU pop songs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UvMYHbN5baw

Ian F. July 18th 10 05:46 PM

LU pop songs

"Clive" wrote in message

The song that I think you're quoting also has the line "Ten stops from
Golders Green, change at Camden Town" If I remember correctly. (That's
not a given.)

"Finchley Central
Ten long stations
From Golders Green, change at Camden Town."

Surely a bus would have been quicker?

Ian

Mizter T July 18th 10 07:21 PM

LU pop songs

On Jul 18, 6:46*pm, "Ian F." wrote:

"Clive" wrote:

The song that I think you're quoting also has the line "Ten stops from
Golders Green, change at Camden Town" If I remember correctly. * (That's
not a given.)

"Finchley Central
Ten long stations
From Golders Green, change at Camden Town."

Surely a bus would have been quicker?

Yes indeedy... well so sez journey planner at least (18 mins compared
to at least 29 mins via the tube). Perhaps the 82 bus wasn't quite as
good back then, and the 460 was just a figment of someone's
imagination.

[email protected] July 18th 10 09:58 PM

LU pop songs

In article
,
(Mizter T) wrote:

On Jul 18, 6:46*pm, "Ian F." wrote:

"Clive" wrote:

The song that I think you're quoting also has the line "Ten stops
from Golders Green, change at Camden Town" If I remember correctly.
(That's not a given.)

"Finchley Central
Ten long stations
From Golders Green, change at Camden Town."

Surely a bus would have been quicker?

Yes indeedy... well so sez journey planner at least (18 mins compared
to at least 29 mins via the tube). Perhaps the 82 bus wasn't quite as
good back then, and the 460 was just a figment of someone's imagination.

645 or 660 trolleybus? Until January 1962 at least.

--
Colin Rosenstiel

Tom Anderson July 18th 10 11:11 PM

LU pop songs

On Sun, 18 Jul 2010, Basil Jet wrote:

On 18/07/2010 11:46, MaxB wrote:

The Bakerloo seems to have done OK from Waterloo Sunset to Warwick
Avenue via Baker Street (and you could add the Lambeth (North) Walk I
suppose.

The BBC have a rehearsal studio in Delaware Road, which was where many
Peel Sessions were recorded, including the Can song "Up The Bakerloo
Line With Anne".

Siouxsie & The Banshees did a song called "Circle" which has many
Underground line references.

And, as I mentioned the other week, Bob Mould did an album called
"District Line".

Carter The Unstoppable Sex Machine's '24 Minutes from Tulse Hill' has the
rarer distinction of being a song about a London BR station (or service,
in fact - the Sutton - London Bridge one). And in that neighbourhood, i
don't know if you count 'The Indestructible Beat of South Norwood' as
being related to the station or the township, er, neighbourhood.

This question gets asked occasionally; we really ought to compile a
comprehensive list.

The guys on ILM have tried:

http://www.ilxor.com/ILX/ThreadSelec...readi d=23486

But sadly the guys on ILM are all congenital syphilitics. An unidentified
human or humans have done well:

http://tubechallenge.pbworks.com/TubeSongs

And i'm positive Inspiral Carpets got their name from a French magazine
article about Holloway Road ...

tom

--
YOUR MIND IS A NIGHTMARE THAT HAS BEEN EATING YOU: NOW EAT YOUR MIND. --
Kathy Acker, Empire of the Senseless