Old July 28th 10, 12:30 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default New Victoria Line Stock

On 28 July, 12:47, Railist wrote:
On 28 July, 10:29, MIG wrote:

On 28 July, 09:27, wrote:

On Tue, 27 Jul 2010 22:30:53 +0100

"Nicola Redwood" wrote:
Have been on them twice so far and both times the trains were taken out of
service due to problems

Apparently some of the problems have been down to door sensors. It just
beggers belief that in 2010 they still can't design door sensors that can
cope with an overcrowded tube train. This really should be simple basic
engineering that an undergraduate could design.

B2003

So should designing a seat that fits a human being. *So should putting
windows in train sides.

I think that 2009 stock seats should be compulsory at TfL board
meetings from now on.

I don't have a problem with seats normally - they do feel narrow on
the Piccadilly Line but that's probably my imagination... ;-) I was on
a new Victoria Line train yesterday and it was extremely hot - the
hottest I have ever been on a tube journey and not in a good way. It
felt like the heating was on, the train was packed and it crawled
between stations.- Hide quoted text -

I was on the Northbound Victoria line platform at Kings Cross
yesterday at about 4pm, when a new train pulled in. There was an
anonuncement "...this train is being taken out of service, please do
not board this train....", and everyone got off. Since we were not
given an explanation as to why the train was taken out of service
(when does that ever happen?) it may be the case that there was a
defect with the train, There was also a notice at Kings Cross the
other day apologising for the service on the Victoria line over the
past couple of weeks. (eg. service suspended between Walthamstow and
Seven Sisters on Monday 19th due to "..late finish of overnight
engineering work...)

Old July 28th 10, 01:07 PM posted to uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

"Nicola Redwood" wrote:
[...]

Even on the Piccadilly, where I don't like the refurbished seating
arrangement, I can put my bum at the back of the seat and lean back.

I can't do that in 2009 stock; I would be forced to lean forward. If
I slump forwards and lean back, my back is then supported only by the
hard ridge at the top of the seat.

Extremely unpleasant either way.
Old July 28th 10, 06:15 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Nicola Redwood" wrote:
Have been on them twice so far and both times the trains were taken out of
service due to problems

Apparently some of the problems have been down to door sensors. It just
beggers belief that in 2010 they still can't design door sensors that can
cope with an overcrowded tube train. This really should be simple basic
engineering that an undergraduate could design.

B2003

So should designing a seat that fits a human being. *So should putting
windows in train sides.

I think that 2009 stock seats should be compulsory at TfL board
meetings from now on.

Going are the days of those lovely transverse pairs in the driving
cars......................
At least the Bakerloo stock will be around a while.

I will have to stand in futre (the excercise does me good). When I say
I will have to stand, I actually mean that......

Fat Richard
Old July 28th 10, 08:13 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 28/07/2010 19:45, Paul Corfield wrote:
On Tue, 27 Jul 2010 23:04:07 +0100, "
wrote:
[09 stock]

At least you got to see one.

I keep reading comments like this on blogs and find it rather odd given
there are 7 or 8 of the things knocking around M-F. I can't avoid them
now in the mornings. Trains 234 (0658), 235 (0703), 236 (0708) and 237
(0712) ex Seven Sisters s/b are now all 09 stock. It's almost as if the
Vic Line management has calibrated their "Corfield radar" to align with
the despatch of new trains from Northumberland Park depot.

Trains running through from Walthamstow at that time of day are 67 stock
but are so full you can't get a seat at Seven Sisters.

I regularly see 09 stock in the evenings too.

None of them are running at the weekends, are they?
Old July 28th 10, 09:07 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:
[09 stock]

At least you got to see one.

I keep reading comments like this on blogs and find it rather odd given
there are 7 or 8 of the things knocking around M-F. I can't avoid them
now in the mornings. Trains 234 (0658), 235 (0703), 236 (0708) and 237
(0712) ex Seven Sisters s/b are now all 09 stock. It's almost as if the
Vic Line management has calibrated their "Corfield radar" to align with
the despatch of new trains from Northumberland Park depot.

Trains running through from Walthamstow at that time of day are 67 stock
but are so full you can't get a seat at Seven Sisters.

I regularly see 09 stock in the evenings too.

The 09 stock kind of strikes me as an urban legend. Somebody who knows
somebody who knows somebody once claimed to have seen one.

Old July 28th 10, 09:42 PM posted to uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

*wrote:
[09 stock]

At least you got to see one.

I keep reading comments like this on blogs and find it rather odd given
there are 7 or 8 of the things knocking around M-F. I can't avoid them
now in the mornings. Trains 234 (0658), 235 (0703), 236 (0708) and 237
(0712) ex Seven Sisters s/b are now all 09 stock. It's almost as if the
Vic Line management has calibrated their "Corfield radar" to align with
the despatch of new trains from Northumberland Park depot.

Trains running through from Walthamstow at that time of day are 67 stock
but are so full you can't get a seat at Seven Sisters.

I regularly see 09 stock in the evenings too.

The 09 stock kind of strikes me as an urban legend. Somebody who knows
somebody who knows somebody once claimed to have seen one.

If only. Unfortunately, I have experienced them myself.
Old July 29th 10, 08:41 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Wed, 28 Jul 2010 11:15:31 -0700 (PDT)
Fat richard wrote:
Going are the days of those lovely transverse pairs in the driving
cars......................

I never found the tranverse seating as comfy as other people. The seats
are too narrow for 2 people to sit on them confortably so you either end up
squashed against the wall as the person next to you tries to get as much
space as possible or sitting with a third of your bum dangling off the edge of
the seat and getting knocked as people move along the aisle at every stop.
Tube trains are just too narrow for that kind of seating though I don't
see why they couldn't have continued with it on the sub surface stock.

I will have to stand in futre (the excercise does me good). When I say
I will have to stand, I actually mean that......

I think it was a serious suggestion at one time - a tube train with no
seats.

B2003

Old July 29th 10, 10:26 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Fat richard wrote:
Going are the days of those lovely transverse pairs in the driving
cars......................

I never found the tranverse seating as comfy as other people. The
seats
are too narrow for 2 people to sit on them confortably so you either
end up squashed against the wall as the person next to you tries to
get as much space as possible or sitting with a third of your bum
dangling off the edge of the seat and getting knocked as people move
along the aisle at every stop. Tube trains are just too narrow for
that kind of seating though I don't
see why they couldn't have continued with it on the sub surface stock.

I wonder why Tube stock don't use 2+1 transverse seating? This would
give adequately wide seats and a wide aisle, so it should be popular
with passengers. Yes, it would reduce seating capacity, but in a nicer
way than the all longitudinal arrangement. The new Met S Stock also
features a variant of this idea.

Old July 29th 10, 10:33 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Fat richard wrote:
[...]

And now LUL have admitted that there are problems with the new trains
on the Victoria Line.

From the BBC News website

New trains on the Victoria Line on London Underground (LU) have been
hit by technical problems, Transport for London (TfL) has admitted.
The latest disruption on Monday saw a new train break down for 60
minutes during the morning rush hour at Oxford Circus.
On 21 July, about 3,000 passengers were trapped when another train
broke down.
TfL said there would be better journeys once the line moved to new
signalling equipment and tracks by 2012.
The new fleet of trains, part of a £90m upgrade of the Victoria Line,
began operating from July 2009.

TfL promised passengers a "smoother, more comfortable ride, with more
frequent trains, a reduction in journey times" and more capacity.
But the problems have been caused by computer software failures and
from over-sensitive sensors, which stop the trains when passengers
lean against doors.
The new trains have in-carriage CCTV, improved wheelchair access,
better ventilation and improved visual and audio customer information
systems.
At the time of their launch, Richard Parry, LU's managing director,
said the trains had "undergone hundreds of hours of testing and are
now ready to run".
On the latest disruptions, a TfL spokesperson said: "The Victoria Line
was suspended for around an hour on Monday morning due to a faulty
train at Oxford Circus station.
"The Victoria Line is undergoing a complete renewal and this includes
the introduction of new trains.
"There have been some technical issues with the new trains but we are
working hard to rectify these initial faults.
"Once the upgrade is finished in 2012 the new track and signalling
will mean faster, smoother and more reliable journeys for our
customers."
On the technical problems, she added: "During any changeover to new
trains and/or signalling systems, the reliability will be expected to
grow over time."
Connor Kinnear, who founded a website just over a month ago which
helps people claim for journeys on the Tube if they are delayed, said:
"We have seen a huge rise, especially this week, both in the number of
refund claims made against the Victoria Line and also the number of
new users registering to the site."

Old July 29th 10, 11:36 AM posted to uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

Fat richard wrote:
[...]

The way things are going, with walls thickening and obstructions
getting more chunky, by the time that the 2009 stock is replaced, it
will be by carriages which are nearly-solid rods with a small pipe
down the middle that a person can crawl into, with personal space
divided into person lengths by means of spikes every four feet along.