Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old July 30th 10, 08:08 PM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london

Default day out in london - suggestions

On Jul 30, 12:41 pm, GazK wrote:
I have a day out in London and surrounding environs lined up in the
next couple of weeks. I would like to spend the day exploring the
quirky, out of the way or interesting railways in greater London. Does
anyone have any suggestions?

Well that is a subjective question; one man’s eclectic is another's
every day sight.

For me the North London Line is always interesting. It passes thru
varied territory, passing numerous other lines. Now that is has
undergone a rebuild, I think it would be especially worth exploring.
I always think the Camden Town, Chalk Farm/Primrose Hill area is fun
to explore on foot. There is the hill itself which gives a god view
over London. There are some good pubs in the area that are useful for
refreshment breaks.

The new ELL has to be worth a look, even if you only explore it in
part. Also, I always found the extremities of some of the tube lines
to be interesting. The Northern Line serves some old Great Northern
stations. In my day they were well preserved, more so than their BR/
National Rail cousins. I don't know if that is still the case. The
ends of the Central Line are/were picturesquely rustic. The Western
end runs next to the little used GW line to Northolt and onwards.

This is a thread, which I am sure, will draw variety of opinions.