Old August 1st 10, 05:28 PM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london

Default day out in london - suggestions

On Jul 31, 8:40*am, "David A Stocks" wrote:
"Peter Masson" wrote in message

I didn't mention South Eastern in my earlier replies, partly because it's
home turf. But a good look round (and under) London Bridge station, then a
journey on the first railway in London (to Deptford and Greenwich, though
it's only when you get to North Kent East Junction that you're down to the
original double track. Deptford station is the oldest station in London
still on its original site (although it was closed for a few years in and
after WW1). The lifting bridge at Deptford is still in situ, though now
quite incapable of lifting. Or the original North Kent line, from London
Bridge to Dartford via Lewisham and Woolwich.

I recently followed a route taking in the ELL/Overground from Norwood
Junction to Dalston Junction, then to Shadwell, DLR to Island Gardens, foot
tunnel to Greenwich and then South Eastern to London Bridge. The lift at the
south end of the foot tunnel is currently out of service so this might work
slightly better in other direction.

Sounds interesing, if very urban. On an alternative tack, it would
interesting to exploring the Underground with reference to locating
the remains of Leslie Green's work, and that of his contemporaries (I
am thinking of the pink stone Central London Railway stations.

Old August 1st 10, 06:18 PM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london

In message
1506 wrote:

[...]

English Heritage are organising a half day guided tour of UndergrounD station
architecture sometime soon. Details on their website.

--
Graeme Wall

This address not read, substitute trains for rail
Transport Miscellany at www.greywall.demon.co.uk/rail
Photo galleries at http://graeme-wall.fotopic.net/