London Banter

-   -   OT- Clarkson Joins The Burka Debate (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/11049-ot-clarkson-joins-burka-debate.html)

1506[_2_] August 1st 10 05:07 PM

OT- Clarkson Joins The Burka Debate

On Aug 1, 8:32*am, Arthur Figgis wrote:
On 01/08/2010 16:09, allantracy wrote:

The Daily Mirror ran one of those appalling ‘politics of envy’ stories

Next thing we know the Sun will have pictures of topless women, and the
Times an article about how the BBC is a bad thing!

Lord Reith's BBC was a landmark in broadcasting history. At one time
it was one of the UK's greatest assets. Sadly, very sadly, it has
long since passed its "sell buy" date.

Arthur Figgis August 1st 10 05:25 PM

On 01/08/2010 18:07, 1506 wrote:
On Aug 1, 8:32 am, Arthur wrote:
On 01/08/2010 16:09, allantracy wrote:

The Daily Mirror ran one of those appalling ‘politics of envy’ stories

Next thing we know the Sun will have pictures of topless women, and the
Times an article about how the BBC is a bad thing!

Lord Reith's BBC was a landmark in broadcasting history. At one time
it was one of the UK's greatest assets. Sadly, very sadly, it has
long since passed its "sell buy" date.

(Aren't you on a different continent?)

So what is the alternative - and is it fair and balanced?

--
Arthur Figgis Surrey, UK

1506[_2_] August 1st 10 05:36 PM

On Aug 1, 10:25*am, Arthur Figgis wrote:
On 01/08/2010 18:07, 1506 wrote:

On Aug 1, 8:32 am, Arthur *wrote:
On 01/08/2010 16:09, allantracy wrote:

The Daily Mirror ran one of those appalling ‘politics of envy’ stories

Next thing we know the Sun will have pictures of topless women, and the
Times an article about how the BBC is a bad thing!

Lord Reith's BBC was a landmark in broadcasting history. *At one time
it was one of the UK's greatest assets. *Sadly, very sadly, it has
long since passed its "sell buy" date.

(Aren't you on a different continent?)

Not always!

So what is the alternative - and is it fair and balanced?

A free market in broadcasting, much as we have with newspapers..
Within that I would like to think that there is room for a fact based
unbiassed service like the BBC or PBS. Unfortunately I do not think
human nature can, or has, maintain(ed) that level of detachemnt over
the long term.

Arthur Figgis August 1st 10 06:03 PM

On 01/08/2010 18:36, 1506 wrote:
On Aug 1, 10:25 am, Arthur wrote:
On 01/08/2010 18:07, 1506 wrote:

On Aug 1, 8:32 am, Arthur wrote:
On 01/08/2010 16:09, allantracy wrote:

The Daily Mirror ran one of those appalling ‘politics of envy’ stories

Next thing we know the Sun will have pictures of topless women, and the
Times an article about how the BBC is a bad thing!

Lord Reith's BBC was a landmark in broadcasting history. At one time
it was one of the UK's greatest assets. Sadly, very sadly, it has
long since passed its "sell buy" date.

(Aren't you on a different continent?)

Not always!

So what is the alternative - and is it fair and balanced?

A free market in broadcasting, much as we have with newspapers..
Within that I would like to think that there is room for a fact based
unbiassed service like the BBC or PBS.

I guess you haven't seen a British newspaper for some time!

1506[_2_] August 1st 10 06:16 PM

On Aug 1, 11:03*am, Arthur Figgis wrote:
On 01/08/2010 18:36, 1506 wrote:

On Aug 1, 10:25 am, Arthur *wrote:
On 01/08/2010 18:07, 1506 wrote:

On Aug 1, 8:32 am, Arthur * *wrote:
On 01/08/2010 16:09, allantracy wrote:

The Daily Mirror ran one of those appalling ‘politics of envy’ stories

Next thing we know the Sun will have pictures of topless women, and the
Times an article about how the BBC is a bad thing!

Lord Reith's BBC was a landmark in broadcasting history. *At one time
it was one of the UK's greatest assets. *Sadly, very sadly, it has
long since passed its "sell buy" date.

(Aren't you on a different continent?)

Not always!

So what is the alternative - and is it fair and balanced?

A free market in broadcasting, much as we have with newspapers..
Within that I would like to think that there is room for a fact based
unbiassed service like the BBC or PBS.

I guess you haven't seen a British newspaper for some time!

Telegraph and Times, January, 2010. Both, present a variation of
conservative thought. Other newspapers take differing editorial
stances.

Free Lunch August 1st 10 06:18 PM

OT- Clarkson Joins The Burka Debate

On Sun, 01 Aug 2010 19:03:10 +0100, Arthur Figgis
wrote in misc.transport.urban-transit:

On 01/08/2010 18:36, 1506 wrote:
On Aug 1, 10:25 am, Arthur wrote:
On 01/08/2010 18:07, 1506 wrote:

On Aug 1, 8:32 am, Arthur wrote:
On 01/08/2010 16:09, allantracy wrote:

The Daily Mirror ran one of those appalling ‘politics of envy’ stories

Next thing we know the Sun will have pictures of topless women, and the
Times an article about how the BBC is a bad thing!

Lord Reith's BBC was a landmark in broadcasting history. At one time
it was one of the UK's greatest assets. Sadly, very sadly, it has
long since passed its "sell buy" date.

(Aren't you on a different continent?)

Not always!

So what is the alternative - and is it fair and balanced?

A free market in broadcasting, much as we have with newspapers..
Within that I would like to think that there is room for a fact based
unbiassed service like the BBC or PBS.

I guess you haven't seen a British newspaper for some time!

Wasn't the last revolution that The Graunaid got a spell-checker?

Graeme[_2_] August 1st 10 06:20 PM

OT- Clarkson Joins The Burka Debate

In message
1506 wrote:

On Aug 1, 10:25=A0am, Arthur Figgis wrote:
On 01/08/2010 18:07, 1506 wrote:

On Aug 1, 8:32 am, Arthur =A0wrote:
On 01/08/2010 16:09, allantracy wrote:

The Daily Mirror ran one of those appalling =91politics of envy=92 st=

ories

Next thing we know the Sun will have pictures of topless women, and th=

Times an article about how the BBC is a bad thing!

Lord Reith's BBC was a landmark in broadcasting history. =A0At one time
it was one of the UK's greatest assets. =A0Sadly, very sadly, it has
long since passed its "sell buy" date.

(Aren't you on a different continent?)

Not always!

So what is the alternative - and is it fair and balanced?

A free market in broadcasting, much as we have with newspapers..

You've not heard of satellite and cable then?

--
Graeme Wall

This address not read, substitute trains for rail
Transport Miscellany at www.greywall.demon.co.uk/rail
Photo galleries at http://graeme-wall.fotopic.net/

Arthur Figgis August 1st 10 06:47 PM

On 01/08/2010 19:16, 1506 wrote:
On Aug 1, 11:03 am, Arthur wrote:
On 01/08/2010 18:36, 1506 wrote:

On Aug 1, 10:25 am, Arthur wrote:
On 01/08/2010 18:07, 1506 wrote:

On Aug 1, 8:32 am, Arthur wrote:
[...]

The Telegraph is now just the Daily Mail on bigger paper.

--
Arthur Figgis Surrey, UK

Chris Tolley[_2_] August 1st 10 07:05 PM

1506 wrote:

Telegraph and Times, January, 2010. Both, present a variation of
conservative thought.

Trouble is, they are being sold under a misleading name which suggests
they present *news*.
--
http://gallery120232.fotopic.net/p9632787.html
(25 198 at Warrington Bank Quay, 5 Jun 1985)

1506[_2_] August 1st 10 10:13 PM

OT- Clarkson Joins The Burka Debate

On Aug 1, 11:20*am, Graeme wrote:

On 01/08/2010 18:07, 1506 wrote:

On Aug 1, 8:32 am, Arthur =A0wrote:
On 01/08/2010 16:09, allantracy wrote:

The Daily Mirror ran one of those appalling =91politics of envy=92 st=

ories

Next thing we know the Sun will have pictures of topless women, and th=

Times an article about how the BBC is a bad thing!

Lord Reith's BBC was a landmark in broadcasting history. =A0At one time
it was one of the UK's greatest assets. =A0Sadly, very sadly, it has
long since passed its "sell buy" date.

(Aren't you on a different continent?)

Not always!

So what is the alternative - and is it fair and balanced?

A free market in broadcasting, much as we have with newspapers..

You've not heard of satellite and cable then?

Which are great. But, the BBC has a license to utilize the public
airwaves. They should either stay true to the "unbiased" mandate, or
stop accepting the license fee.