Old August 2nd 10, 03:59 PM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london

Default OT- Clarkson Joins The Burka Debate

On Aug 2, 7:11*am, Stimpy wrote:
On Mon, 2 Aug 2010 14:03:20 +0100, Mizter T wrote

Agree totally. *If there is a demand for Clarkson's ****e, it should
be satisfied by a commercial channel that can pay him his inflated
income from advertising revenue. *

For Clarkson's shows to be commissioned by the BBC and funded by TV
licence payers is simply shameful.

Lots of licence fee payers like Top Gear. If one is to have a
universal licence fee, then the Beeb should make programming that
appeals to the many and varied tastes of the viewer and listener. If
it doesn't and retreats into elitism, then it'll lose widespread
support.

Anyhow, I doubt my opinion would count for much with you because I
quite enjoy Top Gear - it's just somewhat absurd light entertainment.
The public Clarkson persona is just a caricature, especially the one
on Top Gear.

(I might start calling you Disgusted of T We... I mean Aylesbury...;-)

Indeed. *It's just entertainment. *Clarkson is playing a character, more
often than not specifically to wind-up those who he knows get wound up by
that character.

It's also, so I gather, one of the most successful shows the BBC has ever
made in terms of it's export success.

Based on the amount of time it occupies on BBC America, I can attest
to that. When BBC America started I was rather pleased. Now, there
would be an alternative when PBS was showing something not to my
taste. Alas, BBC America has rarely been an alternative for me.
Although, clearly someone likes it!