Old August 10th 10, 11:51 AM posted to uk.transport,uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit

Default Why people don't commute by bike?

"Roland Perry" wrote in message
In message , at 09:43:39 on Tue, 10 Aug
2010, d remarked:
I don't think anyone blames the americans for using their cars if they
live miles from nowhere. But you don't need a gas guzzling 5.0 V8 SUV to
bring the groceries back from the shops.

But you do need to own something that's also suitable for long trips on
sometimes very poor roads. The attraction of the SUV concept is that it's
a more suitable compromise than an even bigger traditional 4x4 or pickup
truck.

And you can still drive your kids to school that's half way up a f***ing
mountain.

Old August 10th 10, 12:02 PM posted to uk.transport,uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit

On 10/08/2010 11:20, Adrian wrote:
d gurgled happily, sounding much like they were
saying:

Farmers and other countryside workers need 4x4s

Farmers managed to cope quite happily with Marina pickups when I was a
kid.

I regularly see one here driving across fields in his 306.

Weapon of choice when it gets sticky is the quad-bike, not landrover.
This is in the Dales, so nice and hilly.
Old August 10th 10, 12:19 PM posted to uk.transport,uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit

In message , at 10:16:25 on Tue, 10
Aug 2010, Adrian remarked:

You haven't seen the US idea of an "SUV", have you? Clue: We're not
talking Honda CR-V.

I've owned one (which is probably more than most of the correspondents
in this thread have). It was slightly smaller than a Range Rover, and
completely typical of the breed.
Old August 10th 10, 12:48 PM posted to uk.transport,uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit

Roland Perry gurgled happily, sounding much like they
were saying:

I agree that to some extent the 4x4 part is a red herring; the same
vehicle with 2WD would normally be as good (except in the snow - and
some people do live where it snows a lot in the winter).

The right tyres make damn near as much difference to traction on snow as
4wd does, though - and much more difference in cornering and braking.

I've been using winter tyres the last couple of years, for my (2wd)
commute across some reasonably exposed back lanes - and getting up and
down unploughed/ungritted reasonably steep hills with little drama.

Old August 10th 10, 01:17 PM posted to uk.transport,uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit

On Aug 10, 2:43*am, wrote:
On Mon, 09 Aug 2010 22:03:16 +0100

Basil Jet wrote:
On 2010\08\09 17:22, His Highness the TibetanMonkey, Creator of the
Movement of Tantra-Hammock wrote:
On Aug 9, 8:49 am, Stephen
wrote:
Some people do, therefore you qusetion is vitiated.

Some .4% of Americans do compared to some 30% in the Netherlands.

Something is missing, right?

Yeah, all the Americans have to do is level the Rockies and the
Appalachians to make America as bike-friendly as the Netherlands.

I don't think anyone blames the americans for using their cars if they
live miles from nowhere. But you don't need a gas guzzling 5.0 V8 SUV to
bring the groceries back from the shops. It does seem that some yanks
few profligate waste of resources as a human right and that is what ****es
off many people.

B2003

And at the same time they make it nearly a "suicide mission" to go and
get the groceries on your bike.
Old August 10th 10, 01:34 PM posted to uk.transport,uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit

On Tue, 10 Aug 2010 13:17:43 +0100
Roland Perry wrote:
You've got lots of experience of USA roads, then? I agree that to some

I've toured most of the east coast up from washington and also quebec and
southern ontario.

B2003

Old August 10th 10, 10:10 PM posted to uk.transport,uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit

In message , at 12:48:14 on Tue, 10
Aug 2010, Adrian remarked:
The right tyres make damn near as much difference to traction on snow as
4wd does, though - and much more difference in cornering and braking.

I'm sure they help, but not as much as 4wd.
Old August 10th 10, 10:10 PM posted to uk.transport,uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit

In message , at 13:34:42 on Tue, 10 Aug
2010, d remarked:
You've got lots of experience of USA roads, then? I agree that to some

I've toured most of the east coast up from washington and also quebec and
southern ontario

How much of that was on rural tracks?
Old August 11th 10, 08:33 AM posted to uk.transport,uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit

On Tue, 10 Aug 2010 23:10:41 +0100
Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 13:34:42 on Tue, 10 Aug
2010, d remarked:
You've got lots of experience of USA roads, then? I agree that to some

I've toured most of the east coast up from washington and also quebec and
southern ontario

How much of that was on rural tracks?

I can't say I noticed many rural tracks except the ones leading off to
distant farms. All the roads in and around small towns were a lot better
paved than around here. I think its fair to say that the majority of people
in the eastern USA and canada at least do not need a 4x4. Pretty much the
same as over here.

B2003