Old August 19th 10, 09:31 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Runaway Train On The Tube

"Tom Anderson" wrote in message
rth.li...
On Wed, 18 Aug 2010, martin wrote:

On Aug 13, 12:00 pm, Mizter T wrote:
On Aug 13, 11:23 am, Paul wrote:

Sounds like a serious screw up, thankfully no-one got hurt. RAIB will
of course be involved.

The RAIB have announced their investigation, with some preliminary
details and a picture of the unit involved:
http://www.raib.gov.uk/publications/...te_runaway.cfm

Thanks for that, i'm sure we all look forward to reading the report.

Something that I don't think had previously been released:

The crew of the grinding unit, who had no means of re-applying the
brake, jumped off the unit as it passed through Highgate station.

J. Jesus Krispy Kreme Christ on a Borisbike!

'no means of re-applying the brake' is a rather frightening phrase. I
would hope trains were not constructed in such a way that this could ever
be the case, but they are evidently not. Indeed, AIUI, air brakes work by
having a reservoir on each car that drives brake application when the
pressure in the brake pipe drops, but if there is no compressor in action,
as here, then this reservoir will be empty, and there will be no pressure
to apply the brakes even in the absence of brake pipe pressure. Seems like
a bit of a loophole in the fail-safety, but i'm not sure what else you can
do. Presumably a spring does not supply enough force to apply the brakes!

Why assume it even has a conventional railway air brake system. We're
talking about a large item of yellow plant brought in to the system that is
designed to work independently?

Reports earlier that it was an 'engineering train' and pictures of normal LU
battery locos aren't necessarily helping as far as I can see. It's just as
possible that it has never been designed to form part of a 'train' as
everyone is assuming...

Paul S

Old August 19th 10, 10:41 AM posted to uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

On 19 Aug, 10:24, wrote:
In article , (Roland

Perry) wrote:
In message , at 01:07:31 on
Thu, 19 Aug 2010, Stephen Furley remarked:

If there was no alternative to isolating the brake on the failed train
we don't know why another train, or locomotive, with a functioning
brake wasn't coupled behind it.

This seems to be the easiest to answer ... where would you find a
locomotive from, and how long would it take to get to the site with
(as appears to be the case) service trains in the way. The other
possibility would be to take the nearest train out of service, and
use that - although the decision was apparently made to pull using
a train from the north rather than push with one from the south.

Wouldn't there be a battery loco at Highgate Woods?

--
Colin Rosenstiel

Not likely, but that's to the north anyway. It would have to run
miles down the wrong line looking for a crossover.
Old August 19th 10, 11:44 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Thu, 19 Aug 2010 03:41:17 -0700 (PDT)
MIG wrote:
Not likely, but that's to the north anyway. It would have to run
miles down the wrong line looking for a crossover.

Of course if LU hadn't removed the crossover at Archway...

B2003

Old August 19th 10, 01:41 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Aug 13, 11:23 am, Paul wrote:

Sounds like a serious screw up, thankfully no-one got hurt. RAIB
will of course be involved.

The RAIB have announced their investigation, with some preliminary
details and a picture of the unit involved:

http://www.raib.gov.uk/publications/...gister/100813_
highgate_runaway.cfm

[...]

The RAIB site has a picture of the train.

--
Colin Rosenstiel
Old August 19th 10, 03:31 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote in message

On Aug 13, 11:23 am, Paul wrote:

[...]

Has that just been added today? I'm sure I didn't see it originally - but
(blown up) it doesn't look much like a normal railway coupling does it -
more like what you see on the back of a truck...

Paul S

Old August 19th 10, 06:28 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , Paul Scott
writes

Has that just been added today? I'm sure I didn't see it originally -
but (blown up) it doesn't look much like a normal railway coupling does
it - more like what you see on the back of a truck...

The photo's too small to be sure, but it looks like one of TfL's three
Plasser machines, that are equipped with buckeye couplers - not the
standard Wedgelock couplers used on passenger stock, and nor does it
have conventional drawhooks for emergency use, like most of the
engineering stock.

--
Paul Terry
Old August 19th 10, 08:13 PM posted to uk.transport.london

The latest piece in the Evening Standard has some more details from a
"leaked memo" - http://bit.ly/dufn0J

JP