Old August 13th 10, 06:24 PM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london

Default 'Runaway train' on London Tube

On Aug 13, 11:07*am, Charlie Hulme
wrote:
Tim Fenton wrote:
It's downhill from where the coupling broke (between Highgate and
Archway), through Tuffie Park (you can see the falling gradient from the
southbound platform) and Kentish Town and probably through Camden Town.
But I suspect - though I don't have a gradient profile - that it
flattens out before Euston.

Don't the underground tube stations generally have up-gradients
on the approach and down-gradients on exit to assist braking and
acceleration respectively?

Charlie

AFIK, only the LU Central Line.

Old August 17th 10, 10:07 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"martyn dawe" wrote in message
news
Most engineering trains I have seen were top and tailed by a loco, was
this train only out with one loco ?

But it wasn't an engineering 'train', at least in terms of loco and wagons.

It was a 'rail grinding vehicle' of some sort - and it was being rescued by
an out of service Northern line train.

Paul S

Old August 17th 10, 10:11 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at 10:49:11 on
Tue, 17 Aug 2010, martyn dawe remarked:
Most engineering trains I have seen were top and tailed by a loco, was
this train only out with one loco ?

It probably wasn't that kind of engineering train. (Which in any event
would be much harder to fail such a way that it needed a tow).