London Banter

-   -   Tramlink and feedom passes (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/11106-tramlink-feedom-passes.html)

martyn dawe August 17th 10 09:47 AM

Tramlink and feedom passes

do you have to show the Oyster reader your freedom pass, the trams do
not seem to have a Oyster reader, and I could not find a street side
reader at west crayon

Paul Terry[_2_] August 17th 10 10:30 AM

Tramlink and feedom passes

In message , martyn dawe
writes

do you have to show the Oyster reader your freedom pass, the trams do
not seem to have a Oyster reader,

Strictly speaking, you should touch in on the Oyster Reader at the tram
stop.

and I could not find a street side
reader at west crayon

There are two, one at either end of the island platform.

--
Paul Terry

Paul Scott August 17th 10 11:08 AM

Tramlink and feedom passes

"Paul Terry" wrote in message
In message , martyn dawe
writes

do you have to show the Oyster reader your freedom pass, the trams do
not seem to have a Oyster reader,

Strictly speaking, you should touch in on the Oyster Reader at the tram
stop.

and I could not find a street side
reader at west crayon

There are two, one at either end of the island platform.

West Croydon, I think he was meaning...

Paul S

Arthur Figgis August 17th 10 10:50 PM

Tramlink and feedom passes

On 17/08/2010 10:47, martyn dawe wrote:
do you have to show the Oyster reader your freedom pass, the trams do
not seem to have a Oyster reader,

The trams don't have readers on board.

and I could not find a street side reader at west crayon

They are there. One at each end of the stop (next to the ticket machine,
and right at the far end):
http://www.thetrams.co.uk/croydon/pi...e/original.jpg

--
Arthur Figgis Surrey, UK

Batman55 August 18th 10 10:46 AM

Tramlink and feedom passes

"Arthur Figgis" wrote in message
o.uk...
On 17/08/2010 10:47, martyn dawe wrote:
do you have to show the Oyster reader your freedom pass, the trams do
not seem to have a Oyster reader,

The trams don't have readers on board.

and I could not find a street side reader at west crayon

They are there. One at each end of the stop (next to the ticket machine,
and right at the far end):
http://www.thetrams.co.uk/croydon/pi...e/original.jpg

--
Arthur Figgis Surrey, UK

Given how important "tapping in" is, as I have remarked before, the small
grey badly positioned readers are hard to find, deliberately perhaps!

MaxB

David Cantrell August 18th 10 11:03 AM

Tramlink and feedom passes

On Tue, Aug 17, 2010 at 11:30:40AM +0100, Paul Terry wrote:
In message , martyn dawe
writes
do you have to show the Oyster reader your freedom pass, the trams do
not seem to have a Oyster reader,

Strictly speaking, you should touch in on the Oyster Reader at the tram
stop.

I didn't think you had to, just like how you don't have to with a
Travelcard.

--
David Cantrell | A machine for turning tea into grumpiness

The children now love luxury; they have bad manners, contempt for
authority; they show disrespect for elders and love chatter in place
of exercise. Children are now tyrants, not the servants of their
households. They no longer rise when elders enter the room. They
contradict their parents, chatter before company, gobble up dainties
at the table, cross their legs, and tyrannize their teachers.
-- attributed by Plato to Socrates

Paul Terry[_2_] August 18th 10 01:14 PM

Tramlink and feedom passes

In message , David
Cantrell writes

On Tue, Aug 17, 2010 at 11:30:40AM +0100, Paul Terry wrote:

Strictly speaking, you should touch in on the Oyster Reader at the tram
stop.

I didn't think you had to, just like how you don't have to with a
Travelcard.

The Freedom Pass website doesn't give specific details about Tramlink
usage, but it does say that users should touch in at NR stations, many
of which are ungated, like tram stops. The unofficial Tramlink website
claims that Freedom Pass holders can't exit the gates at Wimbledon if
they haven't previously touched in at a tram stop, but I'd be surprised
if that were true.

I don't know how important touching in is, though, other than perhaps to
provide data on Freedom Pass usage.
--
Paul Terry

Arthur Figgis August 20th 10 06:07 PM

Tramlink and feedom passes

On 18/08/2010 11:46, Batman55 wrote:
"Arthur wrote in message
o.uk...
On 17/08/2010 10:47, martyn dawe wrote:
do you have to show the Oyster reader your freedom pass, the trams do
not seem to have a Oyster reader,

The trams don't have readers on board.

and I could not find a street side reader at west crayon

They are there. One at each end of the stop (next to the ticket machine,
and right at the far end):
http://www.thetrams.co.uk/croydon/pi...e/original.jpg

--
Arthur Figgis Surrey, UK

Given how important "tapping in" is, as I have remarked before, the small
grey badly positioned readers are hard to find, deliberately perhaps!

They could perhaps be brighter, but in the case of West Croydon I'm not
sure when one could put them other than at the ends of the platform
where people will have to pass them as they arrive at the stop.

--
Arthur Figgis Surrey, UK