London Banter

-   -   1,000 Boris bikes kept off roads as residents object - Evening Standard (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/11107-1-000-boris-bikes-kept.html)

Jonn Elledge[_2_] August 18th 10 12:57 PM

1,000 Boris bikes kept off roads as residents object - Evening Standard

On 17 Aug, 22:07, Basil Jet wrote:
On 2010\08\17 21:58, Peter Smyth wrote:

"Basil Jet" wrote in message
.. .
On 2010\08\17 20:04, Bruce wrote:

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standa...-1000-boris-bi....

An Evening Standard investigation has found that Westminster council
has refused 29 docking stations. Twelve have been refused in
Kensington and Chelsea, seven in Camden, six each in Islington —
including one in Boris Johnson's street

Gosh. Furlong Road is a fair distance outside the area of the scheme.
It looks as if Boris ordered that the public purse should pay for a
bike station in his street, even though he owns a bike.

http://londonist.com/2009/06/n1_bewa...has_landed.php

Jonn Elledge... there's a blast from the past.

I still lurk on occasion. Hello! etc.

Colin McKenzie August 18th 10 08:24 PM

1,000 Boris bikes kept off roads as residents object - EveningStandard

On Tue, 17 Aug 2010 22:52:16 +0100, Paul Corfield
wrote:
Given the lack of easy bus links at Temple it did strike me that a Boris
Bike from there to High Holborn would make perfect sense. While I sort
of understand why they haven't pitched the stands near to stations it
did strike me as odd that no one has done the obvious thing of providing
the bikes at stations or at least publicising where the nearest stand
is. There is an opportunity for some joined up TfL publicity so that
you'd know where to find a bike if you came out of a tube / train
station and a bike was a feasible option for the remainder of your trip.

I have a copy of a map of Central London, showing the docking sites as red
dots. The surprise for me was that so many were so close to mainline
stations. I don't think they want to put up signs at the stations, to stop
the nearby docking stations emptying out too quickly.

Maybe the map is not widely available - I got mine at TfL's offices.

Colin McKenzie

--
No-one has ever proved that cycle helmets make cycling any safer at the
population level, and anyway cycling is about as safe per mile as walking.