London Banter

-   -   North Greenwich annoyance (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/11142-north-greenwich-annoyance.html)

Offramp September 2nd 10 07:07 AM

North Greenwich annoyance

What could be more straightforward than an announcement in the Tube
carriage that "This is North Greenwich, alight here for the O2"?

But the "O2" part is said as if she were saying, "Oh to be in England"
and someone pinched her bum after the first two words.

Batman55 September 2nd 10 07:36 AM

North Greenwich annoyance

"Offramp" wrote in message
What could be more straightforward than an announcement in the Tube
carriage that "This is North Greenwich, alight here for the O2"?

But the "O2" part is said as if she were saying, "Oh to be in England"
and someone pinched her bum after the first two words.

I think the announcement used to be longer (02 Arena?) and it has been
truncated, hence the abrupt speech pattern.

MaxB

Mizter T September 2nd 10 09:16 AM

North Greenwich annoyance

On Sep 2, 8:36*am, "Batman55" wrote:

"Offramp" wrote:

What could be more straightforward than an announcement in the Tube
carriage that "This is North Greenwich, alight here for the O2"?

But the "O2" part is said as if she were saying, "Oh to be in England"
and someone pinched her bum after the first two words.

I think the announcement used to be longer (02 Arena?) and it has been
truncated, hence the abrupt speech pattern.

Aha, yes that could well explain it - I quite agree with Offramp that
it's rather disconcerting. Strange how the manner of speech in a
recorded announcement can almost leave one feeling a bit on edge.

(As a complete aside, I have wondered if anyone's ever got "the O2"
aka the dome and the "O2 centre" on Finchley Road muddled up, and
ended up in Sainsbury's looking for Bon Jovi - to bring it back on
topic, both locations are served by the Jubbly line.)

Tom Anderson September 3rd 10 12:34 PM

North Greenwich annoyance

"Offramp" wrote:

What could be more straightforward than an announcement in the Tube
carriage that "This is North Greenwich, alight here for the O2"?

But the "O2" part is said as if she were saying, "Oh to be in England"
and someone pinched her bum after the first two words.

I think the announcement used to be longer (02 Arena?) and it has been
truncated, hence the abrupt speech pattern.

Aha, yes that could well explain it - I quite agree with Offramp that
it's rather disconcerting. Strange how the manner of speech in a
recorded announcement can almost leave one feeling a bit on edge.

(As a complete aside, I have wondered if anyone's ever got "the O2" aka
the dome and the "O2 centre" on Finchley Road muddled up, and ended up
in Sainsbury's looking for Bon Jovi

Or even better, if Bon Jovi's ended up in Sainsbury's looking for an
audience.

tom

--
Get a bicycle. You will not regret it. If you live. -- Mark Twain

Basil Jet[_2_] September 3rd 10 01:34 PM

North Greenwich annoyance

"Offramp" wrote:

What could be more straightforward than an announcement in the Tube
carriage that "This is North Greenwich, alight here for the O2"?

But the "O2" part is said as if she were saying, "Oh to be in England"
and someone pinched her bum after the first two words.

I think the announcement used to be longer (02 Arena?) and it has been
truncated, hence the abrupt speech pattern.

Aha, yes that could well explain it - I quite agree with Offramp that
it's rather disconcerting. Strange how the manner of speech in a
recorded announcement can almost leave one feeling a bit on edge.

(As a complete aside, I have wondered if anyone's ever got "the O2"
aka the dome and the "O2 centre" on Finchley Road muddled up, and
ended up in Sainsbury's looking for Bon Jovi

Or even better, if Bon Jovi's ended up in Sainsbury's looking for an
audience.

Sainsbury's tends to get rid of stuff that's past its sell-by date.

Mizter T September 3rd 10 02:39 PM

North Greenwich annoyance

On 3 Sep, 14:34, Basil Jet wrote:

On 2010\09\03 13:34, Tom Anderson wrote:

On Thu, 2 Sep 2010, Mizter T wrote:

(As a complete aside, I have wondered if anyone's ever got "the O2"
aka the dome and the "O2 centre" on Finchley Road muddled up, and
ended up in Sainsbury's looking for Bon Jovi

Or even better, if Bon Jovi's ended up in Sainsbury's looking for an
audience.

Sainsbury's tends to get rid of stuff that's past its sell-by date.

Meanwhile the O2's only to happy to get stuff that sells out its dates.