London Banter

-   -   Cycle hire for casual users delayed until end of 2010... (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/11145-cycle-hire-casual-users-delayed.html)

Mizter T September 3rd 10 01:06 AM

Cycle hire for casual users delayed until end of 2010...

All is not quite well with the cycle hire scheme it would seem.

michael adams September 3rd 10 08:06 AM

"Mizter T" wrote in message

All is not quite well with the cycle hire scheme it would seem.

Only to the extent that at present, demand seems to be outstripping supply -
there simply aren't enough bikes to go around.

Which, as a monopoly supplier, isn't too bad a position to find yourself in.

It's certainly preferable to a position where the supply is vastly outstripping
demand and the bikes are sat rusting away in the racks.

michael adams

Tom Anderson September 3rd 10 01:36 PM

On Fri, 3 Sep 2010, michael adams wrote:

"Mizter T" wrote in message

All is not quite well with the cycle hire scheme it would seem.

Only to the extent that at present, demand seems to be outstripping supply -
there simply aren't enough bikes to go around.

Indeed. I've been pleasantly surprised by the uptake, and am considering
investing in an edible hat.

Have we heard anything about the vandalism rate yet?

tom

--
Get a bicycle. You will not regret it. If you live. -- Mark Twain

Mizter T September 3rd 10 03:14 PM

"Mizter T" wrote:

All is not quite well with the cycle hire scheme it would seem.

Only to the extent that at present, demand seems to be outstripping supply -
there simply aren't enough bikes to go around.

Indeed. I've been pleasantly surprised by the uptake, and am considering
investing in an edible hat.

Though I think there are some ongoing teething problems, more perhaps
that were expected. I'll do a separate reply a bit later to michael's
post and expand on that.

Have we heard anything about the vandalism rate yet?

Wot I read in the Standard a few days ago was that the police were
pleasantly surprised at the lack of vandalism - thus far only two
bikes have been stolen (IIRC at least one of which was actually being
lent to a company by TfL/Serco, presumably to promote the scheme), and
I think they were both recovered. I'll try and dig up the piece in
question.