Old September 23rd 10, 03:34 PM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london

Default TV alert Aldwich station feature on BBC News on thursday

On Sep 23, 6:28*am, CJB wrote:
On Sep 23, 12:04*pm, den wrote:

Aldwich underground station is due to open this weekend.

BBC news covering the story during Thursday 23rd september

See

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-11395831

Thank you for the heads up. I cannot be there, but I am sure many
folks will be glad of the opportunity.

Old September 25th 10, 07:41 PM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london

On 23/09/2010 16:34, 1506 wrote:
On Sep 23, 6:28 am, wrote:
On Sep 23, 12:04 pm, wrote:

Aldwich underground station is due to open this weekend.

BBC news covering the story during Thursday 23rd september

See

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-11395831

Thank you for the heads up. I cannot be there, but I am sure many
folks will be glad of the opportunity.

They made mention of it on "BBC Breakfast" earlier this week and they
showed live footage of a 38ts standing in Aldwych station. The reporter
who was covering the story was actually on location at the platform,
with the train in the background, and said that it took two weeks for
the train to gain access as their was no physical connection between the
mainline and the branch itself.

It seems as though they laid down tracks and then removed them as soon
as the train was properly berthed in the station, because I remember the
reporter also mentioning that it would take them about two weeks to get
the train out again.

Did they actually lift the tracks when the station was shuddered? If so,
when did that happen and why? I would think that they would just prefer
to keep the tracks in place since Aldwych is apparently the best kept of
the shuddered stations on the network and trains might need to go
through that way on occasion for film shoots or some other reason.

Unless there's some very feasible reason, I would also think that it
would be a great waste of time, labour and money to lay down new tracks,
allow a train pass through, lift the tracks, lay them down again to let
the train back out and then lift them.

When that train eventually does leave Aldwych, does anybody know if it
will be at a respectable hour? I'm hoping to catch it on the move.

I guess it will go back to Acton?

Is TfL Museum planning any rail excursions down the Aldwych branch at
some point in the future? Or would that be too interesting and nice for
HSE to allow that kind of thing to happen?

Old September 25th 10, 09:16 PM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london

On Sat, 25 Sep 2010 20:41:54 +0100, "
wrote:

On 23/09/2010 16:34, 1506 wrote:
On Sep 23, 6:28 am, wrote:
On Sep 23, 12:04 pm, wrote:

[...]

AFAIAA Aldwych has never been disconnected from the rest of the
network, it has been used for filming (including trains going in and
out) on many occasions. Has something been done involving the "spare"
tunnel and platform which has got mixed up in the message ?
Old September 26th 10, 11:47 AM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london

wrote:

Did they actually lift the tracks when the station was shuddered?

Shuddered?

Old September 26th 10, 02:08 PM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london

wrote:

Did they actually lift the tracks when the station was shuddered?

Shuddered?

Shuttered, my mistake.
Old September 27th 10, 08:46 AM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london

Anyone get a ticket & go to this?

Report please!