Old September 24th 10, 07:48 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Piccadilly Circus/Lower Regent Street

Basil Jet wrote:

On 2010\09\24 01:05, Mizter T wrote:
Although of course there is a Liverpool Road running up from Angel which
also does not go to Liverpool, so this is not an iron rule.

It does go towards Liverpool. I believe that the original Great North
Road ran down Friern Barnet Lane, Colney Hatch Lane, Crouch End Broadway
and Hornsey Road... Liverpool Road seems to be a continuation of this
line, so will have been the road from London to Liverpool at one point.

Typical Londoner! No geographical knowledge outside the M25. ;-)

The Great North Road went to Peterborough, York and Newcastle, not to
Liverpool. The "road to Liverpool" was what is now the A41.

For much of its length, it followed the Roman road Akeman Street, and
went via Baker Street, through Swiss Cottage, Brent Cross, Hendon,
Mill Hill, Watford, Aylesbury, Bicester, Banbury, Warwick, Solihull,
Wolverhampton, and Whitchurch (Shropshire). From the 1930s onwards it
went via Chester and Birkenhead then through the Mersey Tunnel to
Liverpool. Prior to the 1930s it went from Whitchurch via Warrington
to Liverpool.

More recently, the A5 (Watling Street) was the favoured route for car
travel until it met the A41 north of Wolverhampton, then as above.
Finally, the M1, M6 and Midland Links motorways were built.

Old September 24th 10, 10:59 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , Jim
writes
In article , philrichards1
says...

First question: Roughly when did Lower Regent Street get renamed into
Regent Street?

Second Question: Is it simply worth firing off a complaint to LUL to ask
why the street exit signs haven't been changed? I'm guessing they
haven't been changed is they fit in with the décor of the station and
would be too expensive or impossible to replace or correct.

Was it ever officially Lower Regent Street?

It was certainly not called that when I was pounding the beat in 1969.
It was an unofficial title. The part above Piccadilly Circus is W1 area
while the lower part is SW1.

Other oddities of the area coding is that one side of Piccadilly is W1
while the other is SW1. Marylebone road has W1 and NW1 area. I'm sure
you can come up with others.

I have various Kelly's Post Office Directories and London atlases of
different ages and all seem to show just Regent Street [SW1 south of
Piccadilly Circus].

Maybe Mr Jelf knows.

--
Mike Hughes
at home in Tarring, West Sussex, England
Old September 24th 10, 12:01 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 2010\09\24 08:48, Bruce wrote:
Basil wrote:

[...]

I'm not sure if you're joking. What era are you talking about? Much of
the route you describe is newish roads - Finchley Road is obviously a
new road because it has lots of crossroads, some at oblique angles - old
roads such as Kilburn High Road have T-junctions at right angles. The
route you're describing also runs from the fields of Belgravia rather
than from the City of London.

Old September 24th 10, 05:39 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Tom Anderson" wrote in message
rth.li...

A similar principle applies to roads being called 'Road' at all. It's
Holloway Road because it goes to Holloway, but Liverpool Street because it
doesn't go to Liverpool!

Liverpool Street which was laid out in the 1820's on the route
of the winding Bedlam Lane was named for Lord Liverpool the long
serving Prime Minister of the time. As had been Liverpool Road a decade
earlier. ISTR there are simlarly named Liverpool Streets in other towns
and cities in the UK.

michael adams

Although of course there is a Liverpool Road running up from Angel which
also does not go to Liverpool, so this is not an iron rule.

Looking at a map reminds me of the interesting case where Hornsey Road,
having come down from Hornsey to meet Holloway Road, crosses over it and
becomes Hornsey Street. You indeed cannot get to Hornsey on Hornsey
Street, only to the tip.

tom

--
Information is not knowledge. -- Albert Einstein

Old September 24th 10, 06:15 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sep 24, 8:01*am, Basil Jet wrote:
On 2010\09\24 08:48, Bruce wrote:
The Great North Road went to Peterborough, York and Newcastle, not to
Liverpool. *The "road to Liverpool" was what is now the A41.

For much of its length, it followed the Roman road Akeman Street, and
went via Baker Street, through Swiss Cottage, Brent Cross, Hendon,
Mill Hill, Watford, Aylesbury, Bicester, Banbury, Warwick, Solihull,
Wolverhampton, and Whitchurch (Shropshire).

I'm not sure if you're joking. What era are you talking about? Much of
the route you describe is newish roads - Finchley Road is obviously a
new road because it has lots of crossroads, some at oblique angles - old
roads such as Kilburn High Road have T-junctions at right angles. The
route you're describing also runs from the fields of Belgravia rather
than from the City of London.

Plus, it's pretty obvious if you look at a map that the A41 south of
Hunts Cross (M25 J19) is a 'modern' addition (where 'modern' is about
the 1930s, I believe). Prior to that, the route appears to have
followed the A411 through Watford (of course, using Watford High
Street rather than the current one-way system, and going around the
back of Tesco's), then the A4140 through Stanmore, the A4088, a piece
of the A407, then the A4003 to Kilburn where it ended on the A5.
Finchley Road existed prior to the A41 diversion, but it went (no
surprise) to Finchley before (the) Hendon Way was tagged onto it.
Old September 25th 10, 12:20 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sep 24, 7:15*pm, Alistair Bell wrote:
[...]

Indeed, my local is an ancient pub (1749!) on said route that served
as the last inn on the road before London (the former stables are now
the car park and storage sheds) when travelling along said major route
from the north, just before Stanmore. There is another pub at the
bottom of the hill that provided additional horses for the hill (as
well as changing them before the final leg into London, or indeed,
after the first leg from London - hence it's name, "The Horse &
Chains").
Old September 26th 10, 05:43 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message . li, at
22:25:41 on Thu, 23 Sep 2010, Tom Anderson
remarked:

A similar principle applies to roads being called 'Road' at all. It's
Holloway Road because it goes to Holloway, but Liverpool Street because
it doesn't go to Liverpool!

Reminds me of that old story, which I saw played out in front of me a
week ago at Stansted Airport. Elderly north american lady having been
helped to buy a ticket and shown the lift to the platforms (I saw the
helpful person putting her in the lift); still insisted on asking the
staff down below where the train to "Liverpool" was departing from.
There isn't one any more, which probably reduces the number of nasty
accidents.
Old September 26th 10, 05:43 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at 18:39:12 on Fri, 24 Sep
2010, michael adams remarked:
Liverpool Street which was laid out in the 1820's on the route
of the winding Bedlam Lane was named for Lord Liverpool the long
serving Prime Minister of the time.

Who did it for him, and why was he not able to name it for himself?
Old September 26th 10, 08:26 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sun, 26 Sep 2010, Roland Perry wrote:

In message , at 18:39:12 on Fri, 24 Sep
2010, michael adams remarked:

Liverpool Street which was laid out in the 1820's on the route
of the winding Bedlam Lane was named for Lord Liverpool the long
serving Prime Minister of the time.

Who did it for him, and why was he not able to name it for himself?

I imagine that Lord Liverpool the Long was a man with many demands on his,
er, time.

tom

--
GOD BLESS HOKEY