Old October 4th 10, 07:27 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Stratford east-stairwells/passageway open.

2 great things happened at Stratford this evening:

1) an eastbound Central Line train pulled in EXACTLY as I arrived at the
station, saving a 10-15 minute wait or a walk to Leyton. Result!

2) I spotted the staircases at the eastern end of the platforms appear to
be operational but given point 1), I didn't get remotely long enough to
check them out. But they appear to get you from the westbound Central
Line to the London Overground platforms - I assume they'll also let you
out at the Stratford (old) shopping centre side sooner or later.

Old October 4th 10, 07:47 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Phil" wrote in message
2 great things happened at Stratford this evening:

2) I spotted the staircases at the eastern end of the platforms appear to
be operational but given point 1), I didn't get remotely long enough to
check them out. But they appear to get you from the westbound Central
Line to the London Overground platforms - I assume they'll also let you
out at the Stratford (old) shopping centre side sooner or later.

Can't be sure, but these ODA drawings suggest to me an interchange only
route, - there doesn't seem to be any sort of gateline or entrance for the
southeastern extremity. Perhaps it's emergency escape only? In any case,
the nearest stairs don't seem to be of a large enough size to be part of a
major route

http://www.london2012.com/documents/...ements-map.pdf

Paul S

Old October 5th 10, 12:56 AM posted to uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

On 4 Oct, 22:07, Paul Corfield wrote:
On Mon, 4 Oct 2010 19:27:06 +0000 (UTC), Phil

wrote:
2 great things happened at Stratford this evening:

1) an eastbound Central Line train pulled in EXACTLY as I arrived at the
station, saving a 10-15 minute wait or a walk to Leyton. Result!

2) I spotted the staircases at the eastern end of the platforms appear to
be operational but given point 1), I didn't get remotely long enough to
check them out. But they appear to get you from the westbound Central
Line to the London Overground platforms - I assume they'll also let you
out at the Stratford (old) shopping centre side sooner or later.

Yes it seems the easternmost corridor and stairs are now open for
business - I saw a post on a Yahoo group the other day. However they
will never reach the ticket hall or street according to the plans I have
seen. They simply provide more paid side interchange capacity.
--
Paul C

Is the bit called "reopened eastern subway" the old route to the
depot? In that case, it always led to the street, but didn't have any
connection to the platforms.

Old October 5th 10, 03:29 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 5 Oct, 01:56, MIG wrote:

Is the bit called "reopened eastern subway" the old route to the
depot? *In that case, it always led to the street, but didn't have any
connection to the platforms.- Hide quoted text -

I think the subway to be re-opened is the one which used to lead to
platforms 9-13 as they used to be, not the route to the depot, which
must have been roughly parallel, but a few metres further East.

Old October 5th 10, 09:04 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Can't be sure, but these ODA drawings suggest to me an interchange only
route, - there doesn't seem to be any sort of gateline or entrance for
the southeastern extremity. Perhaps it's emergency escape only? In any
case, the nearest stairs don't seem to be of a large enough size to be
part of a major route

I got a proper look after work tonight (when there was less fear that I'd
have to wait 15 mins for the next tube....) and yes, it has no exit at
the (south) east end, just an emergency exit. I hadn't appreciated that
if you go to the north end of that passageway, then it goes all the way
round below the London Overground platforms. They must have aims for
platform 10a (and 11) as they have new big staircases (which are blocked
off currently....) which would cope with a few extra people.

Is 10a currently used at all....?
Old October 5th 10, 09:26 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Martin Petrov" wrote in message

I got a proper look after work tonight (when there was less fear that I'd
have to wait 15 mins for the next tube....) and yes, it has no exit at
the (south) east end, just an emergency exit. I hadn't appreciated that
if you go to the north end of that passageway, then it goes all the way
round below the London Overground platforms. They must have aims for
platform 10a (and 11) as they have new big staircases (which are blocked
off currently....) which would cope with a few extra people.

Is 10a currently used at all....?

I believe it doesn't get much use at all, but in the medium term they intend
to bring it into regular use, so that more mainline trains can call at
Stratford. Apparently platform 10 will be used bi-directionally, ie as a
second up platform in the am peak, with 10A being used for down calls; and
then in the pm peak 10 and 10A will both be used for down services.

I did hear a few weeks back from one of the NXEA staff on the station that
he thought the Stansted service was going to use Platform 11 rather than 12
at some time in the future as well.

Paul S

Old October 5th 10, 09:53 PM posted to uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

On 5 Oct, 16:29, wrote:
On 5 Oct, 01:56, MIG wrote:

Is the bit called "reopened eastern subway" the old route to the
depot? *In that case, it always led to the street, but didn't have any
connection to the platforms.- Hide quoted text -

I think the subway to be re-opened is the one which used to lead to
platforms 9-13 as they used to be, not the route to the depot, which
must have been roughly parallel, but a few metres further East.

Ah. I remember going a fair way east under the Cental platforms to
where the old ticket window was in a subway, so maybe it's that then.
There were also strange signs above the stairs from the platforms
referring to the subway as a "kiosk".
Old October 6th 10, 04:44 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 5 Oct, 22:53, MIG wrote:

Ah. *I remember going a fair way east under the Cental platforms to
where the old ticket window was in a subway, so maybe it's that then.
There were also strange signs above the stairs from the platforms
referring to the subway as a "kiosk".

Before the new entrance was built and the new ticket hall and subways
opened the entrance was just behind where the steam loco was later
mounted on a plinth for a while. The entrance was down a slope;
previous to that it had been at a higher level, and pre Central Line
extension and Shenfield electrification it was totally different.
Anyway, pre-Jubilee Line you walked through the ticket hall, and then
turned left, through a long subway under platforms 3 and 5. at the
end of the subway there were steps up to 3-5 and another subway to the
right leading to 6 and 8. There as also an entrance to the low level
platforms for North Wollwich and Richmond, originally Palace Gates.
If you didn't turn left into the long subway but went straight ahead
there was a very dirty subway, full of junk which led to platforms 9,
10 and 11 and originally 12 and 13, but the subway had been sealed off
before the stairs to these platforms until 12 was re-built and re-
instated. There were two staircases which originally came up near the
old, now demolished, station building on 10, but these were sealled
off at platform level, and later boarded over in the subway. There
were various rooms and passages leading off this subway, I think one
led to a relay room under the signalbox, and another probably gave
access to the disused liftwhich could still be seen on the platform
above. This subway was almost disused, there were one or two trains
per day to Tottenham Hale from the high-level platforms, and
diversions during engineering works until the access to 12 was re-
instated.

Both the long subway, and this old subway were closed during the
Jubilee Line rebuilding works. The long subway still exists, but most
of it is now only accessible to staff; a short section serves a
passenger lift. The old subway leading to platforms 9 and above still
exists, but was closed off by gates/railings at platform level. It is
this subway which was shown on the plans as to be re-opened.
Old October 6th 10, 04:59 PM posted to uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

On 6 Oct, 17:44, wrote:
On 5 Oct, 22:53, MIG wrote:

Ah. *I remember going a fair way east under the Cental platforms to
where the old ticket window was in a subway, so maybe it's that then.
There were also strange signs above the stairs from the platforms
referring to the subway as a "kiosk".

Before the new entrance was built and the new ticket hall and subways
opened the entrance was just behind where the steam loco was later
mounted on a plinth for a while. *The entrance was down a slope;
previous to that it had been at a higher level, and pre Central Line
extension and Shenfield electrification it was totally different.
Anyway, pre-Jubilee Line you walked through the ticket hall, and then
turned left, through a long subway under platforms 3 and 5. *

Yes, I remember doing that. Wasn't much of a hall as I remember; just
some windows in the side of a wide subway.

at the
end of the subway there were steps up to 3-5 and another subway to the
right leading to 6 and 8. *There as also an entrance to the low level
platforms for North Wollwich and Richmond, originally Palace Gates.
If you didn't turn left into the long subway but went straight ahead
there was a very dirty subway, full of junk which led to platforms 9,
10 and 11 and originally 12 and 13, but the subway had been sealed off
before the stairs to these platforms until 12 was re-built and re-
instated. *

I remember going to platform 11 when the "low level" trains were
terminating over there for some reason, probably back in the late
1970s or early 1980s (a Cravens DMU awaiting).

It felt like quite an adventure, and that side seemed very abandoned.

[...]

That makes sense. The depot subway would be yet further on indeed.