Old February 28th 11, 10:49 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

Default East London Line extension to Highbury & Islington open today

The extension of the ELL 'round the corner' from Dalston Junction to
Highbury & Islington (via Canonbury) has opened for public service today -
see:
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/corporate/projectsandschemes/15397.aspx

The LDB for H&I is now showing trains to West Croydon and Crystal Palace:
http://ojp.nationalrail.co.uk/en/s/ldbboard/dep/HHY

I wanted to say something pithy about this further establishing the line as
part of the urban fabric of London or some such, but failed to come up with
a sentence that didn't sound trite - so I'll just say this is a good thing,
and will help the line become more relevant and more useful to more people.

Old February 28th 11, 10:52 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

On Mon, 28 Feb 2011 11:49:09 -0000
"Mizter T" wrote:
The extension of the ELL 'round the corner' from Dalston Junction to
Highbury & Islington (via Canonbury) has opened for public service today -
see:
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/corporate/projectsandschemes/15397.aspx

The LDB for H&I is now showing trains to West Croydon and Crystal Palace:
http://ojp.nationalrail.co.uk/en/s/ldbboard/dep/HHY

I wanted to say something pithy about this further establishing the line as
part of the urban fabric of London or some such, but failed to come up with
a sentence that didn't sound trite - so I'll just say this is a good thing,
and will help the line become more relevant and more useful to more people.

It'll be interesting to see who uses it most - people who work near
Liverpool street or Docklands workers using it to cut out the central london
part of their journey.

Pity they couldn't take it all the way to Finsbury Park.

B2003

Old February 28th 11, 10:55 AM posted to uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.railway

On Feb 28, 11:49*am, "Mizter T" wrote:
The extension of the ELL 'round the corner' from Dalston Junction to
Highbury & Islington (via Canonbury) has opened for public service today -
see:
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/corporate/projectsandschemes/15397.aspx

The LDB for H&I is now showing trains to West Croydon and Crystal Palace:
http://ojp.nationalrail.co.uk/en/s/ldbboard/dep/HHY

I wanted to say something pithy about this further establishing the line as
part of the urban fabric of London or some such, but failed to come up with
a sentence that didn't sound trite - so I'll just say this is a good thing,
and will help the line become more relevant and more useful to more people.

Thank you for sharing. I will try to visit the route just as soon as
I can. And, IMHO, it is excellent thing.

Old February 28th 11, 10:56 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

Mizter T wrote:

I wanted to say something pithy about this further establishing the line as
part of the urban fabric of London or some such, but failed to come up with
a sentence that didn't sound trite - so I'll just say this is a good thing,
and will help the line become more relevant and more useful to more people.

I'll buy that. The line serves some interesting parts of the Metropolis,
and improving the connectivity at the northern end will benefit folk
there and further afield.

--
http://gallery120232.fotopic.net/p9633046.html
(47 539 at Shrewsbury, Aug 1982)
Old February 28th 11, 10:58 AM posted to uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.railway

"Mizter T" wrote:
[...]

Or Camden Road, or Primrose Hill. Still I am glad it has reached H&I.

Old February 28th 11, 11:04 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

"Mizter T" wrote in message
The extension of the ELL 'round the corner' from Dalston Junction to
Highbury & Islington (via Canonbury) has opened for public service today -
see:

Meanwhile they've amended another page incorrectly, (repeating an error from
a few weeks ago?) about a 5 min frequency on the extension:

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/corporate/proj...mes/15360.aspx

As discussed previously, arrivals and departures at Dalston Junction show a
short dwell in the platform there, to make the trains on the extension run
at regular intervals.

Paul

Old February 28th 11, 11:31 AM posted to uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.railway

"Mizter T" wrote:
[...]

Or Camden Road, or Primrose Hill. *Still I am glad it has reached H&I.- Hide quoted text -

I'd find a service on the East curve to Hackney or Stratford useful,
but that's not likely to happen.
Old February 28th 11, 11:54 AM posted to uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.railway

On Mon, 28 Feb 2011 03:58:55 -0800 (PST)
1506 wrote:
Pity they couldn't take it all the way to Finsbury Park.

Or Camden Road, or Primrose Hill. Still I am glad it has reached H&I.

But to get to those stations you just walk across the platform to the NLL.
To get to finsbury park and all the services there everyone will have to
go underground and pile on to either the victoria line or the FCC moorgate
line for the short hop. My guess is that there are going to be a lot of
extra journeys on the victoria line from finsbury to highbury now and back
and the line is pretty packed already on this section in the rush hour.

B2003

Old February 28th 11, 11:59 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

In article ,
"Mizter T" wrote:

I wanted to say something pithy about this further establishing the line as
part of the urban fabric of London or some such, but failed to come up with
a sentence that didn't sound trite - so I'll just say this is a good thing,
and will help the line become more relevant and more useful to more people.

Boris of course was there to claim credit and take the pith:

"We are piecing together a rail version of the M25 in the capital, an
orbital rail link that is making it vastly easier for millions of
Londoners to whizz from one side of the city to another."

He's a whizz kid alright.

E.
Old February 28th 11, 12:11 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

"eastender" wrote:

In article ,
"Mizter T" wrote:

I wanted to say something pithy about this further establishing the line
as
part of the urban fabric of London or some such, but failed to come up
with
a sentence that didn't sound trite - so I'll just say this is a good
thing,
and will help the line become more relevant and more useful to more
people.

Boris of course was there to claim credit and take the pith:

"We are piecing together a rail version of the M25 in the capital, an
orbital rail link that is making it vastly easier for millions of
Londoners to whizz from one side of the city to another."

He's a whizz kid alright.

Whoever writes this tiresome guff could at least try a bit harder - if it's
remotely akin to anything, then it's the North & South Circular roads - I
s'pose referencing "the M25" is rather more succinct, but for anyone who
expends the remotest degree of thought on it, it's also a totally duff
comparison.

If it was possible to ask the 2004 version of Boris if he had the vaguest
clue about what the East London Line project might entail, it'd be
interesting to hear his answer.