London Banter

-   -   Two "Street" stations in a row: prospective quiz question (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/11336-two-street-stations-row-prospective.html)

Offramp October 20th 10 03:13 PM

Two "Street" stations in a row: prospective quiz question

I have not examined this too carefully as my eyesight has recently
worsened.
I thought of a quiz question....
Q: On the 12 main Tube lines [i.e. not DLR or overground, although I
think they could be included] there is only one occurrence of a
station ending in Street being adjacent to a station ending in Street.
That may not be clear.
What I mean is that on one of the major London Tube lines there's a
_____ Street followed on the same line by a ______ Street.

If I'm still in a wifi area I'll give what I think is the unique
answer in an hour, ie at about 17:15.

Offramp October 20th 10 03:18 PM

Two "Street" stations in a row: prospective quiz question

Gah! I just remembered Warren Street and Goodge Street.
I was *thinking* of Baker Street and Bond Street!
Back to the attic!

Graham Harrison[_2_] October 20th 10 03:49 PM

"Offramp" wrote in message
Gah! I just remembered Warren Street and Goodge Street.
I was *thinking* of Baker Street and Bond Street!
Back to the attic!

How about

Which is the only London Underground line which boasts two towns along its'
route where each town has precisely two stations? I believe the answer is
the Piccadilly with Ruislip/Ruislip Manor and Sudbury Hill/Sudbury Town.
The question may need tweaking to make it clearer. I used the word
"precisely" to eliminate the 3 Hounslows but I'm not sure about use of
"town".

Basil Jet[_2_] October 20th 10 04:03 PM

On 2010\10\20 16:49, Graham Harrison wrote:

"Offramp" wrote in message
Gah! I just remembered Warren Street and Goodge Street.
I was *thinking* of Baker Street and Bond Street!
Back to the attic!

How about

Which is the only London Underground line which boasts two towns along
its' route where each town has precisely two stations? I believe the
answer is the Piccadilly with Ruislip/Ruislip Manor and Sudbury
Hill/Sudbury Town. The question may need tweaking to make it clearer. I
used the word "precisely" to eliminate the 3 Hounslows but I'm not sure
about use of "town".

There are several such station pairs on the District, namely Ealing,
Putney, Wimbledon, Dagenham, Upminster, Bow and conceivably Ham. Your
question doesn't specify that the line should have only a pair of pairs.

MIG October 20th 10 04:03 PM

Two "Street" stations in a row: prospective quiz question

On 20 Oct, 16:49, "Graham Harrison"
wrote:
"Offramp" wrote in message

Gah! I just remembered Warren Street and Goodge Street.
I was *thinking* of Baker Street and Bond Street!
Back to the attic!

How about

Which is the only London Underground line which boasts two towns along its'
route where each town has precisely two stations? * I believe the answer is
the Piccadilly with Ruislip/Ruislip Manor and Sudbury Hill/Sudbury Town.
The question may need tweaking to make it clearer. * I used the word
"precisely" to eliminate the 3 Hounslows but I'm not sure about use of
"town".

Too difficult to explain I think.

Anyway, hasn't the District got two Dagenhams, two Upminsters and Two
Ealings?

Peter Lawrence[_3_] October 20th 10 05:35 PM

wrote:
wrote in message

Gah! I just remembered Warren Street and Goodge Street.
I was *thinking* of Baker Street and Bond Street!
Back to the attic!

How about

Which is the only London Underground line which boasts two towns along its'
route where each town has precisely two stations? I believe the answer is
the Piccadilly with Ruislip/Ruislip Manor and Sudbury Hill/Sudbury Town.
The question may need tweaking to make it clearer. I used the word
"precisely" to eliminate the 3 Hounslows but I'm not sure about use of
"town".

Too difficult to explain I think.

Anyway, hasn't the District got two Dagenhams, two Upminsters and Two
Ealings?

And the Noerthern has two Tootings.

Richard J.[_3_] October 20th 10 05:47 PM

Two "Street" stations in a row: prospective quiz question

Basil Jet wrote on 20 October 2010
17:03:17 ...

wrote in message
Gah! I just remembered Warren Street and Goodge Street.
I was *thinking* of Baker Street and Bond Street!
Back to the attic!

How about

Which is the only London Underground line which boasts two towns along
its' route where each town has precisely two stations? I believe the
answer is the Piccadilly with Ruislip/Ruislip Manor and Sudbury
Hill/Sudbury Town. The question may need tweaking to make it clearer. I
used the word "precisely" to eliminate the 3 Hounslows but I'm not sure
about use of "town".

There are several such station pairs on the District, namely Ealing,
Putney, Wimbledon, Dagenham, Upminster, Bow and conceivably Ham. Your
question doesn't specify that the line should have only a pair of pairs.

Putney doesn't count as Putney Bridge station isn't in Putney.
--
Richard J.

Graham Harrison[_2_] October 20th 10 06:54 PM

wrote:
"Offramp" wrote in message

Gah! I just remembered Warren Street and Goodge Street.
I was *thinking* of Baker Street and Bond Street!
Back to the attic!

How about

Which is the only London Underground line which boasts two towns along
its'
route where each town has precisely two stations? I believe the answer is
the Piccadilly with Ruislip/Ruislip Manor and Sudbury Hill/Sudbury Town.
The question may need tweaking to make it clearer. I used the word
"precisely" to eliminate the 3 Hounslows but I'm not sure about use of
"town".

Too difficult to explain I think.

Anyway, hasn't the District got two Dagenhams, two Upminsters and Two
Ealings?

------------------

Ah, but that's three twos and I was asking for two twos ;-)

MIG October 20th 10 09:00 PM

*wrote in message
Gah! I just remembered Warren Street and Goodge Street.
I was *thinking* of Baker Street and Bond Street!
Back to the attic!

How about

Which is the only London Underground line which boasts two towns along
its' route where each town has precisely two stations? I believe the
answer is the Piccadilly with Ruislip/Ruislip Manor and Sudbury
Hill/Sudbury Town. The question may need tweaking to make it clearer. I
used the word "precisely" to eliminate the 3 Hounslows but I'm not sure
about use of "town".

There are several such station pairs on the District, namely Ealing,
Putney, Wimbledon, Dagenham, Upminster, Bow and conceivably Ham. Your
question doesn't specify that the line should have only a pair of pairs..

Putney doesn't count as Putney Bridge station isn't in Putney.

I didn't think it had to be in the same town. I suppose this would
rule out Gate on the Central.

Richard J.[_3_] October 20th 10 09:57 PM

Two "Street" stations in a row: prospective quiz question

MIG wrote on 20 October 2010 22:00:54 ...
On 20 Oct, 18:47, "Richard wrote:
Basil wrote on 20 October 2010
17:03:17 ...

wrote in message
[...]

"where each town has precisely two stations" must surely mean that the
town contains the two stations.

I suppose this would rule out Gate on the Central.

Correct. Unless you think there's a town/suburb/district in London
called Gate.
--
Richard J.